AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

Ann Eyerman has lived in her affordable one-bedroom apartment on Raglan Avenue in the Bathurst and St. Clair area for nearly four years.

She pays $1,500 a month for her unit in the aging seven-storey multiplex, and was disappointed to receive a letter last month from owner Hazelview Properties informing tenants, many of them seniors, they’ll have to move out in a couple years to make way for the demolition of the lowrise.

The owners are planning to build a new 28-storey apartment building with 280 units, most of them market rentals. Hazelview will soon submit a zoning bylaw amendment application to the city regarding the property, seeking a change to the zoned height, density, setback and parking.

--------
As required under the City of Toronto Act, the landowner is required to build replacement units in the new building — the same number of suites, 62, that 40 Raglan Ave. has.

The company says residents will likely have to begin leaving the building in about two years.

Residents who’ve received the move-out notifications will have the right to return to the new highrise and occupy similar-sized units for similar rents, and the replacement units won’t be exempt from rent control.

The owners have also promised tenants an unspecified amount of financial assistance toward relocation costs and rent for units they move into before demolition begins. Construction is slated to run from about 2024 to 2028, the company says.

Current apartment building on site:

ragll.JPG

Last edited:

40 RAGLAN AVE
Ward 12: Toronto-St. Paul's

Application Number:
21 212462 STE 12 OZ
Application Type:
Rezoning
Date Submitted:
14/09/2021
Under Review

Description:
Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate the redevelopment of the site for a 28-storey residential building having a residential gross floor area of 21,148 square metres. A total of 279 residential dwelling units are proposed, of which, 62 will be rental replacement units.

UT article summarizing the application details:

Bummer. I love this era of buildings, and I was even looking into moving to an apartment on Raglan a couple of years ago (instead I moved to Germany, lol). I understand the need for more density and intensification, and this is a good spot for it, but I'll be sad to know all these brick mid-rise buildings are starting to bite the dust.

Bummer. I love this era of buildings, and I was even looking into moving to an apartment on Raglan a couple of years ago (instead I moved to Germany, lol). I understand the need for more density and intensification, and this is a good spot for it, but I'll be sad to know all these brick mid-rise buildings are starting to bite the dust.

I'm not here to knock Raglan or the Humewood area lol, but living in Germany must be pretty sweet too. ;)

Although I haven't been back in several years, part of my heart will always remain with the northern cities of Bremen, Hamburg and Lübeck.

I'm not here to knock Raglan or the Humewood area lol, but living in Germany must be pretty sweet too. ;)

Although I haven't been back in several years, part of my heart will always remain with the northern cities of Bremen, Hamburg and Lübeck.
Can't complain 😂. Out of those cities I've only been to Hamburg and love it, but nothing compares to Berlin, my new home sweet home

Can't complain 😂. Out of those cities I've only been to Hamburg and love it, but nothing compares to Berlin, my new home sweet home

Yeah, I enjoyed Hamburg so much that I had to return for a second time. Got quite accustomed to taking the trains between Amsterdam to Hamburg, along smaller side trips with nearby cities to both hubs. Only been to Berlin once on a day trip though, ideally would've needed a whole week to do it justice. Hopefully get the chance again in the future.

Berlin is awesome. Just so much energy there, possibly my favourite city I’ve visited. Highly recommend for any urbanism tourist.

Berlin was near the top of my list when I first went to Europe and had to choose a city as a focal point. But I went perhaps against the grain and decided on Hamburg instead. I still remember getting the reaction from a couple people there who were a little surprised, along the lines of "oh, we usually don't get tourists" (internationally, from outside of their region). 😅

The new rendering is updated in the database! The project information updates are as followed. The overall building height changed from 96.90m to 103.94m. Total storey count changed from 28 storeys to 29 storeys. The total unit count decreased from 279 to 274 units. Finally, the total parking space count decreased from 98 to 92 parking spaces.

The rendering is taken from the architectural plan via the Rezoning application:

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 28  2022-1.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 28  2022-120.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 28  2022-123.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 28  2022-126.jpg

SPA has been filed for this one:

Only the tiniest of revisions: (from the Cover Letter)

1665736282739.png

Reactions: PMT

Back