Just awful. Pity. This used to be an attractive building. The reskinning of this tower is even worse than that of the building on the NE corner of Bloor & Bay, which was never attractive, but is now even less attractive. Unlike in Buffalo, where they just did a terrific job on the Seneca One Tower (formerly HSBC Centre, formerly Marine Midland Centre), the tallest building in Buffalo. Are these reno disasters another ongoing Toronto problem?

Such a loooong wait for... THIS!!! I realize for many people this is just the gravy on what was already a horrible project. But, I was kind of hopeful. I felt the public realm of the original tower wasn't particularly great and was hopeful they would be able to improve on it. This might be the worst podium in the city. It's beyond awful. Maybe the reason it took so long is they realized how awful it was and were embarrassed to reveal it.

I'm already looking forward to the distant future of Bay & Queen Tower (formerly 401 Bay Street (formerly Simpson Tower)) | 100m | 40s | Cadillac Fairview | Hariri Pontarini ;)

Just wait until the garish signage goes up for various tenants. You don't think they will simply let that white space sit empty when they can milk some businesses for signage fees!

Fair enough. Just pointing out that we shouldn't judge CF solely on 401 Bay Street.
But we can judge them on what they have done:

This hackjob project, the Eaton Centre "renovation" (ie: hackjob), the Sherway Gardens "renovation" (ie: hackjob), Flaire (which looks sharp).

So if they hit well on 160 Front ill be inclined to say that their new builds are sharp and they know what they're doing with them, while being absolutely lost and clueless as to how to conduct a proper renovation.

I hope the silver lining of this disaster is that it discourages other property owners to give older buildings the same treatment.

Don’t see what everyone is up in arms about. Looks like a fine minimalist base. Not much better than a hudson’s bay store in the suburbs granted but still far from the worst in Toronto.

Don’t see what everyone is up in arms about. Looks like a fine minimalist base. Not much better than a hudson’s bay store in the suburbs granted but still far from the worst in Toronto.
Well there is a high standard: "far from the worst in Toronto".

That is kind of like some of the other excuses we hear like "its better than the buildings around it."

Sorry, but bad is bad. And the more bad we get, the worse the city becomes as a whole.

Back