It's late Parkin BTW.

And somehow, it'd seem contrary to the Bonnie Brooks stylish spirit to muck it up. (Sort of like if Arcadian Court had remained in its shagadelic late 60s makeover form rather than its pomo re-makeover in the 90s, it might have been restored to *that* state.)

I actually find the tower to look quite slim. The recessed exterior walls and exposed concrete columns up the side give it an almost anemic exterior form. The glass at the base also helps lighten its load at the bottom. Lastly, the top concrete mechanical portion acts as somewhat of a crown or head to top off the beauty.

I think its good geometric forms and consistently understated presence are what make it so appealing to me.

Wow - it's like I wrote that! Exactly how I feel about this building.

Agreed completely, though I always thought it would be even more appealing if it were about another 10 stories higher ... not simply due to the height, rather the contrast it'd offer from the surroundings.

Not sure if these have been posted yet! While walking by the base of the tower this morning, I noticed renderings of the re-clad.

dr2ko0.jpg

25a1079.jpg

WTF!

That is ugly!
(The lack of symmetry is brutal! (to a brutalist building, at that!)
If they are going to do that to the top - they need to remove the bulky structure up there.
Dare I ask - what does the other side look like?

Isn't there some sort of historical argument for preservation?

I can now see why Saks didn't want to be on this side of the building (despite the art deco block to the south).

Thanks for posting.

Agreed, it looks great as is. I'm not generally a big brutalist fan but this is actually probably my favourite.

Are there structural integrity issues?

Wasn't ever the biggest fan but I think it was just because of the overwhelming amount of concrete a Bay and Queen and I prefer the buildings across the street.

This however makes me appreciate it more. The top is just wrong.

Yuck. Others have already mentioned the issue with the tower treatment and the break in symmetry. Congrats, they have turned it into a Kirkor.

AoD

Wow, this tower and potentially 1200 Bay St get the call in the span of two days...it's as if developers want to purge the City of brutalist buildings.

Wow, I'm no fan of brutalism in general, but it's sad to see it getting the shaft so much lately...

Back