Yikes. This is already underway, from the looks of those photos. As usual, heritage preservation in this city is in a state of reaction, rather than proaction.

I'm curious as to what's happening at the ground level - I'm betting a grand entrance to Hudson's Bay.

Inquiries are being made at City Hall. This did not go through planning, just the Buildings Department. Unsure what the deal is re: Heritage designation yet.

Those thin white lines that go up the towers windows are so hideous. Looks like something you'd see done on one of the condos at city place.

I am not a fan of this building or the brutalist style in general but as a matter of integrity I do believe in maintaining unique buildings. Unless there are structural/safety reasons for this redo..? The proposed recladding is indeed hideous, and I have no idea what is going on at the top where the iconic lit top is. This looks a mess.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started
TORONTO ON M5H 2Y4

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 14 145275 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Apr 22, 2014

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal
Description: Proposal to re-clad existing non-residential mixed use 33 sty building. Simpson's Tower.

Im afraid its a done deal, people have had 1-1/2 yr. to look into this and all of a sudden there is panic, , lets move on

I'm also afraid it's a done deal, but let's not move on just yet (you'll find the apostrophe just to the right of the semicolon on your keyboard). We're checking into how the recladding escaped getting certain approvals, and if it did get approved without getting everything it needed, there's a story there, and maybe some hope too.

I'm also afraid it's a done deal, but let's not move on just yet (you'll find the apostrophe just to the right of the semicolon on your keyboard). We're checking into how the recladding escaped getting certain approvals, and if it did get approved without getting everything it needed, there's a story there, and maybe some hope too.

Anyone who can stop this insanity should be inducted into the Order of Canada and be given the Key to the City.

Pam McConnell's office is now on it, and we are talking to Urban Design and to Heritage Preservation Services to try to get the full story (and find out if something was overlooked which could trigger a rethink).

It's all subjective, of course. I've always thought the Simpson's Tower to be handsome. The recladding will cover the concrete with "architectural steel" (inevitable I suppose) and the new windows will be energy efficient (perfectly good outcome), but the work planned for the crown is beyond unlovely.

Thanks, I-42, for trying to figure out what's happening with this tower. If the concrete is going to be replaced with metal panels (which was bound to happen I guess), which color/shade/finish will they be - grey-ish? Is there any chance they can be a different color/tone/shade? Otherwise, we'll end up with a building that's not only disfigured with a horrible top/crown but it'll also be grey-ish, which is the last thing Toronto needs anywhere!!!

Back