Cadillac Fairview shouldnt be allowed to do any kind of renovation works whatsoever, because anything they renovate gets hacked up in a million ways to the point the original development loses all its aesthetic value (ie: see Sherway Gardens, Eaton Centre, Simpson Tower, etc..).

They are much better at building new things from a clean slate (ie: see Eaton Centre bridge, 160 Front St W, Flaire).

609 Grenville reclad turned out fine:

1634148834682.png

Reactions: xy3
Cue the "it doesn't matter / nobody is going to see this / why don't you pay for it out of pocket yourself?" crowd.... Completely unforgiveable that this faces the City's Main square

I don’t comment here very much—other things in life on the go, shall we say, but I do look. And it’s time to say something: this monstrosity just made me throw up in my mouth.

Can these jerks get away with just anything in this city? It would be interesting to listen to the conversation if any politician who cares actually spoke up.

I’m just disgusted.

At the East Harbour public consultation earlier tonight, I typed up this question for them:

"Cadillac Fairview has been wonderfully ambitious architecturally at 160 Front West, whereas they are also responsible for a beyond dismal recladding of the Simpson Tower across from City Hall. Can we be sure that Cadillac Fairview will step up to the architectural plate here and follow their own example at 160 Front West?"

I did not expect an answer to the question, I pretty much just wanted it recorded as part of the discussion re: East Harbour.

I was very surprised when, however, the question was addressed. The whole of it was not read out, instead it was paraphrased by the moderator who noted there was disappointment regarding the Simpson Tower, and how could we believe that Cad Fair would do the right thing at East Harbour when they failed across from City Hall.

Cad Fair's representative answered that the main tenant at the Simpson Tower had final say over the recladding design, and please don't judge them based on it, it's not what they would have chosen.

Huh. Make of that what you will. Whether that's true or not, Cad Fair are disavowing this mess.

I haven't looked up who the main tenant is here.

Back