I didn't know so many people liked it. I always thought it was sterile and boring. However, it does have some character and some generic glass recladding project would probably worsen it.

Interesting nostalgia:

postcard-toronto-simpson-tower-architects-drawing-401-bay-john-parkin-completed-1968.jpg

20130918-Rooftop-CityHallTower.jpg

crappy photo, but this is the original design as seen in Unbuilt Toronto 2. Note how they wanted to reclad the entirety of the Hudsons Bay building. Even in the 1960's, the cheapening was common.

T4rOpzW.jpg

Last edited:
They didn't think of it as cheapening of course, there was simply a major rush on to modernize and put Toronto on the map by making sure we were as hip as the best of them. There was little thought given to heritage then.

I mean more of the simplified rendition of the tower that ended up getting built, I am more than happy that the older facades didn't get replaced.

The unbuilt, full-scale design looks quite interesting - but I am glad it didn't get a go ahead since it would have resulted in the likely demolition (?) of the heritage building, which is arguably finer. Have to say, I don't really care that much for this tower - there are far more interesting buildings from that era IMO.

AoD

Beauty is in the eye, of course, but there is something so unapologetically stout about this tower's form that i can't help but like it!

Beauty is in the eye, of course, but there is something so unapologetically stout about this tower's form that i can't help but like it!

I actually find the tower to look quite slim. The recessed exterior walls and exposed concrete columns up the side give it an almost anemic exterior form. The glass at the base also helps lighten its load at the bottom. Lastly, the top concrete mechanical portion acts as somewhat of a crown or head to top off the beauty.

I think its good geometric forms and consistently understated presence are what make it so appealing to me.

Great shot!

So it's the concrete cladding on the uprights that is crumbling...
I wonder if they'll be true to the original and reclad in concrete - or go for aluminum?

Great photos. I hope they are keeping the dark brown glass. It's one of my favorite qualities of the building.

That postcard/magazine artwork (posted by Projectend) should have a streetcar or two of the era as well!

Back