DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
No application yet but saw this on Linkedin - looks to be the gas station site on the east side of Keel just north of Dundas

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 6.38.20 PM.png

1628721574863.png

Looks great IMO I'm glad to see another (precast at least) brick situation in the Junction. The texture is nice and I like the ridges and inset layers in the brick giving it depth and expression.

Hopefully this can help connect and tame the kinda hostile streetscape of this stretch between Dundas and the underpass. More landscaping or hardscaping on the street side could help as well to soften the street which is very loud and furious around here. The trees are good, though I don't think the trees up the street on the same side in front of the building by the railway tracks are doing too well from my memory (and at least on streetview they don't look well established) and hopefully these will do better.

No application yet but saw this on Linkedin - looks to be the gas station site on the east side of Keel just north of Dundas

View attachment 340881
View attachment 340882

Ahh, the Canadian Tire gas bar site.

Aerial pic of the gas bar site itself. (as we don't yet know if this includes any additional properties)

1628728073636.png

This is very large footpint as is; so I'm not sure they need to acquire any of the properties on Heintzman Street.

This is ~25000ft2.

I'll go further, based on the suggested development footprint of 140,000ft2, unless there is a large park dedication in the proposal, additional properties seem unlikely. Though I suppose it depends on how much transitioning is being done on the east side.

Nice looking rendering! Lot of detail on the podium's reddish orange columns etc part plus the rounded corners really makes the building pop out! As seen in the photo up above.

Would definitely be a welcomed addition along this part of Keele. Along with the Stockton project across the street, they should help form a more cohesive streetscape at the northern gateway to the Junction area.

Good luck getting approval from the 60 Heintzman owners.
That will be a good fight starting right now.

Fantastic news. The gas station is an impediment to making Keele Street a vibrant mixed-use extension of the Dundas West commercial area in the Junction. It always felt out of place in this historic Victorian area.

I was hoping that the redevelopment of the site would include the ugly apartment building next door with the strip mall-style parking in front. But I'm glad that the iconic former Bank of Toronto, which was designed by Eustace Bird and New York's Carrere and Hastings isn't being touched (for now).

Good luck getting approval from the 60 Heintzman owners.
That will be a good fight starting right now.

There's little to no fight to even put up on their part. It's a prime development site on a mixed-use street with an existing high-rise building next door. The proposed building isn't even a high-rise. Plus, their property values will probably benefit from not having a gas station next door, which is a turn off for many buyers.

Fantastic news. The gas station is an impediment to making Keele Street a vibrant mixed-use extension of the Dundas West commercial area in the Junction. It always felt out of place in this historic Victorian area.

I was hoping that the redevelopment of the site would include the ugly apartment building next door with the strip mall-style parking in front. But I'm glad that the iconic former Bank of Toronto, which was designed by Eustace Bird and New York's Carrere and Hastings isn't being touched (for now).

There's little to no fight to even put up on their part. It's a prime development site on a mixed-use street with an existing high-rise building next door. The proposed building isn't even a high-rise. Plus, their property values will probably benefit from not having a gas station next door, which is a turn off for many buyers.
They will be obstructing the lake view for a good 30% of the owners at Heintzman. Good luck convincing all of them. A couple of Townhouses would be OK but a 40meter high building in front of of our prime lake views will be a long haul for the developers.

They will be obstructing the lake view for a good 30% of the owners at Heintzman. Good luck convincing all of them. A couple of Townhouses would be OK but a 40meter high building in front of of our prime lake views will be a long haul for the developers.

Nobody is entitled to a "view" in perpetuity.

There is a thing called Zoning. Go dig it.
That area is a 14 meters high maximum.

Irrespective of the merits in general, or how you may perceive them; this City rezones on an exceedingly regular basis.
Far from being exceptional, or extraordinary, it's literally routine in Toronto.
Zoning is not immutable anywhere; but of all places, most certainly not Toronto.

As noted above by others, views are routinely taken away in this city, including Lake views that were expressly paid for and desired by existing residents.

There is no legal protection for views in general. There are a few limited 'view corridor' protections, but none that would apply here to my knowledge.

Last edited:

You say "our" so it seems like you are among the residents. Why do you think it's an appropriate action to take to spend your energy fighting increased housing all just so that it doesn't partially block the view in your adjacent high-density housing? You live in a city in a building bigger than anything else in the area and you think it's appropriate to pull up the ladder after you and block any other housing in that context? Really, how do you justify this? During a housing crisis. What makes your "prime lake views" more valuable than housing for people? It's just so hard for me to understand this kind of self-centred mindset.

Luckily you don't have any veto over this and even if you fight you will likely lose. There is no need for the 30% of owners in that building to to be convinced or to give their approval for this to move forward.

This is patronizing. People on here know a lot about these things. If you're looking to have a discussion grounded in the legal realities that govern development in this city and about the development process you're going to find (as you already are above) that you have some formidably knowledgable opponents here.

Last edited:
That area is a 14 meters high maximum.
The Heintzman Place project you live in required both Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments so that it could be built. The first ZBA only took the tallest building to 16 storeys, so it required yet another amendment to take it to 23 storeys.

You can start the trail here. Have fun throwing rocks from your glass house (despite its masonry exterior).

THE BRIBERY WILL BE EXPOSED. WE KNOW HOW THESE THINGS WORK. GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO. THAT WILL BE A GOOD FIGHT!

Back