The formal opponents who will pay money to break rules, yes I know them. We all know them.

The Heintzman Place project you live in required both Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments so that it could be built. The first ZBA only took the tallest building to 16 storeys, so it required yet another amendment to take it to 23 storeys.

You can start the trail here. Have fun throwing rocks from your glass house (despite its masonry exterior).

I am not throwing rocks (yet).
Heintzman was not build right in front of another building block views, etc.
But it is OK...good luck to all.

I am not throwing rocks (yet).
Heintzman was not build right in front of another building block views, etc.
But it is OK...good luck to all.

Your building ruined the views of the Junction for the houses to the north.

Your building ruined the views of the Junction for the houses to the north.
Ok dude, I get what kind of discussion we are having here. You are the sharks, we are the pray. It will be a mistake of yours thinking the pray always lose. You may be surprised with the results.

Ok dude, I get what kind of discussion we are having here. You are the sharks, we are the pray. It will be a mistake of yours thinking the pray always lose. You may be surprised with the results.

His post wasn't confrontational.
Nor is he the one looking to develop the property.
He's simply showing the limitation of your perception.
There was always a before. Change is a constant.

Not all change is good; and not all good change is welcome.

While @Towered is not the predator.........

And prey may may sometimes win................

Where what you mean by prey is the neighbours of a proposed development..................you'd be right that opposition can be successfully mounted.

However, if you're looking at recent history, I would suggest to you the odds of outright scuttling this are fairly remote, relatively few proposals are turned down outright at OLT (Ontario Land Tribunal).
As such, even were you and your neighbours able to get the City to vote 'no'; you would likely still see this approved at OLT.

Please note, that isn't a position on my part; it's a description of the process through which literally hundreds of other developments have gone.

I think you may find more success if, upon actually seeing the proposal, you consider ways it might be improved; and what benefits you and the community writ large might obtain from the developer in exchange for the building
going forward. (parks expansion/enhancement, streetscape improvements, childcare facilities etc etc.)

You may well be able to secure benefits or changes which would ameliorate your quality of life and contribute to the appreciation (financial gain) of your properties.
Where a focus on opposing anything is a high risk - low reward game.

But that's just a suggestion, and take it or leave it as you wish.

Last edited:
Current view of the site:

20210831_133904.jpg
20210831_133944.jpg

Good luck getting approval from the 60 Heintzman owners.
That will be a good fight starting right now.

They will be obstructing the lake view for a good 30% of the owners at Heintzman. Good luck convincing all of them. A couple of Townhouses would be OK but a 40meter high building in front of of our prime lake views will be a long haul for the developers.

There is a thing called Zoning. Go dig it.
That area is a 14 meters high maximum.

The formal opponents who will pay money to break rules, yes I know them. We all know them.

Awwww, this is so cute...

The cat's been out of the bag for while, but here's a little bit more detail from Core Development's commentary on their IG today:

"We are pleased to announce the acquisition of 403 Keele Street, a .57-acre property in the heart of Toronto’s Junction neighbourhood with plans to develop a 10-storey mixed-use residential building. Previously occupied by retail chain Canadian Tire, 403 Keele Street will be converted into a mid-rise, purpose-built rental development featuring approximately 209 units and 7,500 sq. ft. of ground-oriented commercial space. We have appointed the award-winning architectural firm @StudioJCI for this project.

Ideally located in the heart of the Junction with access to many restaurants, shops and amenities within walking distance, 403 Keele will offer a host of amenities including professional property management on-site to cater to all the tenants’ needs, dedicated work from home spaces, a fitness studio and work lounge."

They didn't fill in the description details (yet), but looks like the City is planning an online community consultation meeting for November 8th, 2021:

Event Information: 403 Keele St.

Date and time:Monday, November 8, 2021 6:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour
Description:

There should be all bylaw about replacing the gas station that are being lost. At least into new electric car charging stations! Incorporated into the development or some other location.

Back