Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
You knew this day was coming...........this is the site of the Phoenix theatre along with a medical office complex.

1636357502605.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=Ni657pTGoptUsn2N8eAIaA==

Streetview:

1636357580522.png

Aerial Pic:

1636357613866.png

Site Size: ~2300m2/24750ft2

T'was inevitable. A small, dormant part of me is slightly upset because I spent many fun nights at the Phoenix in the 90's, but, let's face it - the building itself is awful and no longer a good use of this site. I last went to the Phoenix in 2019 after many years to see the Dead South and was stunned by how it hadn't changed at all inside.

Though I've only been to the The Phoenix once (Mastodon in 2007 or 8, I believe), it was formative in my musical upbringing since I came of age listening to (the late, great) Martin Streek's Live-To-Air broadcasts from the late 90s to about 2004. @Towered is correct though, memories are fun, but this was and should be, inevitable.

Though I've only been to the The Phoenix once (Mastodon in 2007 or 8, I believe), it was formative in my musical upbringing since I came of age listening to (the late, great) Martin Streek's Live-To-Air broadcasts from the late 90s to about 2004. @Towered is correct though, memories are fun, but this was and should be, inevitable.
Tell that to all my queer friends who have been going to the weekly drag events 😫. This site is still very much being used regularly today and will be sorely missed.

Well, I guess we gotta destroy every queer-friendly space in this city 🤷‍♂️. We already lost Fly and Club 120, so why not Phoenix too. It would be less of an issue if the city actually made any effort to support the development of new nightlife spaces (especially queer ones, which generally cannot afford to operate in the entertainment district) but council seems to think a fun Saturday night out is a trip to your local Rexall, so I don't have much hope.

T'was inevitable. A small, dormant part of me is slightly upset because I spent many fun nights at the Phoenix in the 90's, but, let's face it - the building itself is awful and no longer a good use of this site. I last went to the Phoenix in 2019 after many years to see the Dead South and was stunned by how it hadn't changed at all inside.
I thought you where more a Sanctuary type...

The Phoenix has been functioning as a concert hall and gay nightclub for several years now... since all the nightclubs in the gay village were demolished for condos. People are gonna be REALLY upset about this. I hope the city tries to make them replace it in the base of the condo somehow. The only other nightclub space north of Queen Street is The Buddies in Bad Times Theatre or the couple places way west in Little Italy.

Lord I hate this. So many incredible moments at the Phoenix and of course the Diamond before it. Nick Cave, Shriekback back in day. ISIS, Bonobo, Godspeed. Sigh. I was just looking at all the gigs that were showing up this year and next. Losing Kool Haus, The Hoxton and now the Phoenix just sucks. At least the Mod club came back and maybe Drake's place will be ok.

Lord I hate this. So many incredible moments at the Phoenix and of course the Diamond before it. Nick Cave, Shriekback back in day. ISIS, Bonobo, Godspeed. Sigh. I was just looking at all the gigs that were showing up this year and next. Losing Kool Haus, The Hoxton and now the Phoenix just sucks. At least the Mod club came back and maybe Drake's place will be ok.
I'm really hoping History will be able to fill in the gap left by some of these.

I'm really hoping History will be able to fill in the gap left by some of these.
Hopefully it can do that for concerts. Sadly it is extremely unlikely it'll fill Phoenix's place with the LGBTQ community. Partially due to being much further from The Village, and partially cus I just can't see a venue from Drake and Live Nation making any serious effort to target LGBT audiences, beyond cynical efforts to look pro-gay during Pride Month.

Buddy! That was 2006!
What a show with Converge opening.

The sound was terrible though, as is standard for The Phoenix.

Back