Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
On the agenda for the next Toronto Public Library Board meeting on November 16th, 2020 is the award of the architecture/design contract for the new (replacement) Dawes Road Public Library Branch.

Link here: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca...s-road-branch-architect-award-of-contract.pdf

The existing Branch is 6,500ft2 with 8 formerly occupied residential condominiums above it in a 3-storey building.

The new facility which will include additional land at 82 Chapman (currently a SFH) will be 20,000ft2, plus a 2,000ft2 community hub.

Additional community partners are continuing to be sought and its possible the facility will grow by a further 16000ft2

Community consultation will follow shortly, with schematic design scheduled to be complete in summer 2021, construction is currently scheduled for 2023.

This is the existing building: (from Streetview)

1604958864314.png

This is the sideview, revealing the existing apartments and the SFH on the left hand side of the picture, the land of which will be included in this redevelopment. (also from Streetview)

1604958970472.png

Aerial View below:

1604959035186.png

Attachments

• 1604958779595.png
    1604958779595.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 166
Community consultation for this project is tonight, March 23rd, 2021.

Link to join the meeting:

Join by meeting number:

• Access code - 129 482 5186
  • Password - k34JaditeC6

Join by phone: 416-216-5643

I'm in on the meeting at the moment.

I have to say, we're 30M in without any architecture or design yet.

This has so far been an exercise in dropping every name that has ever had their finger in this project at any point in the last decade, and hopelessly general blather.

Sigh.

This is what kills engagement.

Meeting wrapped.

No renders yet.

Just one loose concept.

They want to incorporate wood in a strong way, but balance that with a more 'modern' surface, possibly concrete, possibly brick.

Site has been selected for the Mayors' Design Excellence initiative.

Construction budget is ~20M

Library size 20,000ft2, 5,500ft Community Hub

Construction start early 2023, finish 2025.

Aim for building to be Net Zero

Looking to include Youth Hub and Innovation Zone amongst other services.

Did they say what this means?

I don't recall any elaborate explanation.

Implicit ( to me ) was that there would be sufficient money for a design of quality, and something original.

But there was no suggestion of money beyond the base construction budget of 20M, that I can recall.

It should be said, TPL has a pretty good track record with architecture. It's not perfect, they've had a thud or two......but they've done well overall.

Apart from the discussion narrowly on that point, which was brief; they certainly outlined a desire for a staircase that would be open between floors.

Lots of natural light.

Use of Wood.

They clearly envision wood beams in the ceiling. But not an all-wood ceiling.

Strong suggestion of gardens at roof levels, and possibly fronting Dawes Road at grade.

My instinct is that I'd rather see the gardens front Chapman.

The building should have a strong relationship to the principle street.

The gardens can soften the side street, the quieter space that might be more usable for seating.

The TPL has done a terrific job on several locations over the past decade, so yes, here's hoping that will happen here.

I will want to know, from now on, which projects have not been selected for the Mayor's Design Excellence initiative. Surely if some are chosen, there will be others that are being turned down. "Nope, no excellence here please." What will any of that mean? Pea-meal bacon sandwiches for the chosen development teams?

The TPL has done a terrific job on several locations over the past decade, so yes, here's hoping that will happen here.

I will want to know, from now on, which projects have not been selected for the Mayor's Design Excellence initiative. Surely if some are chosen, there will be others that are being turned down. "Nope, no excellence here please." What will any of that mean? Pea-meal bacon sandwiches for the chosen development teams?

I can't think of a single example of truly bad new builds by the TPL.

AoD

A few years ago I criticized the library and Perkins Will for plagiarizing a particular design move. Apparently no one cared.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ts-too-close-to-an-olddesign/article35219957/

I remembered that. Not that plagiarism doesn't matter, but I am inclined to be easy on a community-scaled project (even if it is one by a well-known firm) that really isn't going to be known outside the city.

AoD

Apparently no one cared.

I'm sold that the sloping windows resemble a similar design gesture on a piece of contemporary architecture in the same genre in New York... but talk about tone-deaf concerns of the bourgeoisie. Aren't there much bigger fish to fry in this city?

I'm sold that the sloping windows resemble a similar design gesture on a piece of contemporary architecture in the same genre in New York... but talk about tone-deaf concerns of the bourgeoisie. Aren't there much bigger fish to fry in this city?

To be fair, it's @AlexBozikovic's job as an architecture critic/journalist to point out this issue. It's probably more a matter for the profession to debate than for the general public to get worked over.

AoD

To be fair, it's @AlexBozikovic's job as an architecture critic/journalist to point out this issue. It's probably more a matter for the profession to debate than for the general public to get worked over.

AoD

There's a similar phenomenon in the restaurant industry vis a vis copying recipes/ideas.

You can't actually copyright those or maintain exclusivity (you can trademark a dish name)

Some chefs are entirely fine w/imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

Some accept that there are only so many food ideas in the world and some people are bound to do similar things over time.

Sometimes, when one chef to a near certainty is copying an idea they saw elsewhere, it steams the originator up, particular if no credit is given.

Back