drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
This site covers all the land between Weston Rd and Old Weston as well beside CP Rail Corridor that is currently zone as industrial land.

The concrete silos are being torn down and another building was removed last year. There is a single story building by Old Weston Rd and one beside CP corridor with a siding that was used as a cargo flow. Haven't seen any cars on that track for most of the year as well no real use for the building. Another piece of Toronto past becoming history.

With the removal of the silos as well the other building, it will allow this site to be redevelop as industrial/commercial land with better layout of building or be rezone as mix/residential.

Can't see industrial going back into this site, but can see the site becoming residential.

If it become residential, a warning clause needed to be posted during sales as well in the purchase agreement advising the buyers that they are next to 2 heavy rail corridors for CP Rail and GO Transit that will see close to 400 trains a day at all hours around 2030-40. This way the buyer knows up front they can't complain about the noise of trains after they move in.
15854457717_ff16616b9c_b.jpg

It's unfortunate to see those silos go. They are as much a landmark on Junction Road as the silos on the waterfront. They date back to the massive flour mill on the site that operated from the 1890s through the 1980s--Campbell Flour/Maple Leaf Mills. If you look at Google maps, you can find an abandoned street called "Monarch Road". It was most likely named after Monarch Flour, one of the brands of flour made at the mill. Campbell Flour's head office was located there.

There's a proposal to build a suburban-style plaza with retail at the back of the property by the railway tracks and the rest of the site paved for parking. Essentially, the historic silos are being demolished for part of a surface parking lot.

I agree, it's a shame that the silos are being demolished and being turned into a suburban style plaza and parking lot.
I would like to see them converted into innovative loft apartments or offices like in Europe, but to do that would be very expensive.
Preserving its history and smartly integrating retail/commercial with cultural would vastly improve the area, similar to the Distillery District but more of a later industrial era style.

Preserving its history and smartly integrating retail/commercial with cultural would vastly improve the area, similar to the Distillery District but more of a later industrial era style.

Away from maybe West Liberty Village, i cant see anything else in west Toronto thats going to happen similar to the Distillery District.
Anyways, shame that they had to demolish the silos

The last thing that area needs is more car-dependent development, citizens. Robin, Batgirl, and myself were clambering through the silos this summer, thinking that the structure might make a nice Junction outpost for the Batcave, but the streets are utter madness through there, what with Joker's The Stockyards having been added to the already overbuilt big box assortment in the area in the last year. Were we to have to respond to a Batsignal from that location, the Batmobile would just be stuck at the lights, trying to make a left onto Keele.

The last thing that area needs is more car-dependent development, citizens. Robin, Batgirl, and myself were clambering through the silos this summer, thinking that the structure might make a nice Junction outpost for the Batcave, but the streets are utter madness through there, what with Joker's The Stockyards having been added to the already overbuilt big box assortment in the area in the last year. Were we to have to respond to a Batsignal from that location, the Batmobile would just be stuck at the lights, trying to make a left onto Keele.

All salient points, Batman. But what's wrong with the Batcopter? That thing in the shop again?

As useful as the Batcopter is to avoid traffic in overly car-dependent areas, Robin's been influenced by his social studies class at school and was concerned with the level of noise the Batcopter produces and the inevitable nimby backlash, citizen.

Completely understandable, Batman. I just thought you and Robin, intrepid wizards that you are, would have come up with some sort of clever Bat-muffler system you could retrofit onto the Batcopter - you know, sleek, aerodynamic, gloss black, maybe a pin stripe or two.

But look, I'lll let you guys go, I know you're busy! I look forward to my next sighting of the Batsignal against the city skyline.

OMG No... No more tacky retail in this area... How can we stop this?

This site is perfect for condos, townhomes and a park... Why does the city want retail from hell in every corner of this area...

k... Why does the city want retail from hell in every corner of this area...
Because the planner is from Hell. Obviously we should put tons and tons of big box retail in the area of the city with quite possibly the worst street network for handling automobile congestion.

Just passed the site - demolition ongoing and some construction. Looks like poured concrete walls just above grade with rebar capped.

Back