From the AIC application details - "126,160 square metres of residential uses, of which 6,308 square metres is proposed to be affordable rental"

Only a 5% GFA commitment to Affordable Housing..? I can't see Councillor Bailao letting them get away with such a low number considering the size of the overall development and the various incentives that are available to generate more Affordable-Rental units within these kinds of developments, and her role as Chair of P&H.

From the AIC application details - "126,160 square metres of residential uses, of which 6,308 square metres is proposed to be affordable rental"

Only a 5% GFA commitment to Affordable Housing..? I can't see Councillor Bailao letting them get away with such a low number considering the size of the overall development and the various incentives that are available to generate more Affordable-Rental units within these kinds of developments, and her role as Chair of P&H.
It's a private development, they have no obligation to provide any at this point beyond what can be paid for through the Section 37 negotiation.

It's a private development, they have no obligation to provide any at this point beyond what can be paid for through the Section 37 negotiation.
Correct. Every site is a negotiation, and Section-37 is only 1 part of that "haggle". I would expect "more affordable rental" to be part of the City's ask - especially if they can bring a Not-for-Profit partner and some Federal dollars to the table.

Diamond usually does the old "Zone and Flip" so I am not confident this is what will get built - but I love the central iconic tower.

Diamond usually does the old "Zone and Flip" so I am not confident this is what will get built - but I love the central iconic tower.
…but sometimes they do the zone, bring on partners, provide financial support, sell to partners near the end of the project, like as The Well… so you never know.

The City has one of their omnibus reports on Employment Lands Conversion Requests on next week's Planning and Housing Ctte agenda.

One site covered is this one.

In that report the City recommends conversion, but with some strings attached........

1656345762345.png

That made me go back and look the Planning Rationale Report to see what the Employment Gross floor area is in the application:

1656345661718.png

Insofar as we allow non-residential GFA to be the comparable number, the City is looking to require an extra 2,600m2 or about 40% more than the original app.

That made me go back and look the Planning Rationale Report to see what the Employment Gross floor area is in the application:

View attachment 410104
From these project-stats this looks like essentially a 5% of residential units deal, which is an "Inclusionary-Zoning" like number -- depending on Unit-Size / Unit-Mix the City demands, they get around ~100 affordable rental units.

No new rendering has been updated in the database. There are some information changes taken via the architectural plan via Rezoning submission. The total unit count was reduced from 1888 units to 1882 units. Finally, car parking was reduced from 1056 parking to 950 parking.

Back