All good points and REMARKABLY similar to what the residents of 55 The Esplanade said when your building was proposed.
Mistakes were made but join the good fight brother
✊

Always happy to welcome new members to UT, but this is going to be an uphill battle here, friendo.
I'm a new homeowner and I have a lot to learn, I guess. I'm just trying to do what I can to ensure the interests of 75 The Esplanade unit owners are considered. Do you guys have advice on how I can effectively do that? I don't want to just sit by and watch it happen.

I'm a new homeowner and I have a lot to learn, I guess. I'm just trying to do what I can to ensure the interests of 75 The Esplanade unit owners are considered. Do you guys have advice on how I can effectively do that? I don't want to just sit by and watch it happen.
The City has a number of formalized guidelines that help shape development, for example a minimum recommended separation distance of 25 metres between towers, maximum 750 sq m tower floorplates, etc. You can familiarize yourself with them at this link, and I suggest you read through the Tall Buildings guidelines. If the proposal next door respects those guidelines, then there's little you can do affect the design… but if they are pushing it in spots, you can try to push back. Attend any public meeting and engage in the conversation, and/or send comments to the Planner at the City who is reviewing the application.

When I purchased at 75 The Esplanade, I specifically went with a north facing unit as high as possible because of the lower probability of anything blocking my view. Even if the properties on Esplanade and Front somehow get redeveloped, no way they'll be higher than 20 storeys.

I also came to this site to look for any developments around the site (granted 45 The Esplanade wasn't submitted, it was only a matter of time).

West and South units currently have the best views but most likely to be blocked by redevelopment (and here we are).

If you are so concerned about losing views and sunlight, cash out of your purchase, assuming you purchased preconstruction, which would have made you a killing anyways.

We live in a growing city that's constantly under construction and changing.

This was my view three years ago:
45254ac8-ad68-4587-bffb-b298edf8c232-jpeg.187273

This was my view a few weeks ago:

6512694b-d8ba-4363-9b55-2e191e78d9d8-jpeg.379540

When this one gets three times this high (they're at around floor 10 now and it will go up to 29), they will start building a 40 storey tower between that building and my balcony.

Welcome to living downtown in a rapidly growing city.

This was my view three years ago:
45254ac8-ad68-4587-bffb-b298edf8c232-jpeg.187273

This was my view a few weeks ago:

6512694b-d8ba-4363-9b55-2e191e78d9d8-jpeg.379540

When this one gets three times this high (they're at around floor 10 now and it will go up to 29), they will start building a 40 storey tower between that building and my balcony.

Welcome to living downtown in a rapidly growing city.
Did you mean to put this in the T&S Condos thread?

Did you mean to put this in the T&S Condos thread?

These are already in the T&S thread. I was responding to the complaint about someone building next to you.

I see I got a "sad" response, but it's not sad that I am getting hundreds of new neighbours. My apartment will be better when the construction is done, not worse. There will be more pedestrians and more street life, making everybody safer. There will be more businesses and amenities. There will be a new playground and daycare, though those will be a little late for me. There will even be a subway stop!

Thanks for sharing your experience guys - helped me to get some more perspective. I found out about this development a bit late and bought late pre-construction, so am still dealing with the shock. I'll review the city guidelines, and attend the consultations as planned. Fortunately in a lower unit so didn't pay a big premium for a view. Do you guys have any thoughts on how this will affect property values for west-facing units? Any other benefits to the community apart from more street life, businesses and amenities? Trying to look on the bright side.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience guys - helped me to get some more perspective. I found out about this development a bit late and bought late pre-construction, so am still dealing with the shock. I'll review the city guidelines, and attend the consultations as planned. Fortunately in a lower unit so didn't pay a big premium for a view. Do you guys have any thoughts on how this will affect property values for west-facing units? Any other benefits to the community apart from more street life, businesses and amenities? Trying to look on the bright side.
Property values will not likely be impacted much. 1) Housing is so tight in the city that people simply want places to live, and 2) Your central location will be worth far more than the view.

Up close to the windows, you'll still have views to the north and south of 45 The Esplanade.

"any other benefits other than street life, business and amenities"? What are you looking for, unicorns for everyone? Those are the things that make downtown living great.

I'm a resident at 75 The Esplanade and I am shocked at how obstructive the 36-storey towers would be for the entire west facing side of the 75 The Esplanade building (see attached photos of aerial view and ground floor plan).

Just wanted to raise awareness and promote discussion about some major issues:
  • short distance from the existing building's windows and balconies
  • loss of light
  • loss of views to and from the site
  • loss of privacy, tranquility
  • increased traffic on the laneway
  • lowered property values of 75 The Esplanade units facing the proposed development
View attachment 385606View attachment 385607
I have the same issue on the other side. 25 The Esplanade east view.
I knew this day would come but you never know when or how bad it will be. No guarantees.
Love it or List it!

I can’t find a picture from 2003 when I moved in but Market Warf 300m away, blocked a portion in 2011 and then 75 blocked a big portion of it in 2017. :)
Not as bad as some of 55 The Esplanade’s concerns.
I’m sure there was resistance when 25 The Esplanade was built In 1998.

Here is one from 2017
/
1647464423241.jpeg

1647464517535.jpeg

Parking is my only concern as they appear to be taking a portion of our “contracted” amount of parking spaces which are now rental spots under 25/35/45 The Esplanade. From the SPA drawings, they do not plan to excavate but they will rework or gut the under ground structure and separate the parking between 45 and 25/35 The Esplanade.

Our contract between MTCC850 - 25 The Esplanade and the owner of 25 (condo retail 1st floor)/35 (commercial 2nd floor)/45 (hotel) The Esplanade, states 244 spots are designated for the condo and commercial while there will only be 118 spots left under 25 The Esplanade proper once severed. This parking reduction should have a perceived value even if not owned. It seems like a complicated situation as the parking was condo owned and then sold back to the developer/owner in 1999, 12 years after construction. The contract obligation was transfered to the new and current owner of 25/35/45 The Esplanade (less the condo units)

I suspect they will need to dig down one more level under 45 and possibly allocate some more parking spots for 25/35 or NOT. I’m sure the lawyers will figure this one out. I guess 45 will pass all the City approvals for parking but what about 25/35? I assume they can’t steal our allocation? I don’t think re-allocating 126 of the 3,000 Green P spots for us has the same value of convenience. Maybe they tunnel to the Green P like they did between Backstage and the Ltower? :) We would be connected to the new Path at that point once CIBC phase 2 bridge is installed to Backstage and the Green P.

25 has 571 (larger) units so the allocation of 244 spots is high based on current standards but 118 spots is low.

I believe the parking sale/transfer was due to ground water concerns but I can’t recall the technical issues for sure.

I’m complaining about parking while others in this world are having bombs dropped on them.
Off to dontate.

Last edited:
When there is a board of directors at 75 The Esplanade, they will need to discuss what can be done about the re-development on the 45the esplanade to ensure it does not negatively impact the building. Do not worry too much though, the value of your unit is mainly in the location.

I'm a resident at 75 The Esplanade and I am shocked at how obstructive the 36-storey towers would be for the entire west facing side of the 75 The Esplanade building (see attached photos of aerial view and ground floor plan).

Just wanted to raise awareness and promote discussion about some major issues:
  • short distance from the existing building's windows and balconies
  • loss of light
  • loss of views to and from the site
  • loss of privacy, tranquility
  • increased traffic on the laneway
  • lowered property values of 75 The Esplanade units facing the proposed development
View attachment 385606View attachment 385607
I think your biggest concern would be if the building was actually looked as in the proposed drawings…that is what we need to fight…if they built a different attractive building, it may not be so bad for you….

Forgot to mention 178 current public/hotel parking spaces will be replaced with 45 “visitor” (public?/hotel?) spaces for 45 The Esplanade as currently planned. I’m assuming some of these might be public and also assuming none will be public under the future 25 The Esplanade parking arrangement.

This current public lot portion was full during Meridian Hall and Scotiabank Arena event nights and work weekdays.

The future of downtown parking is closing in very quickly. Wait until they touch the 3,000 Green P Parking Lot.
The less cars the better I guess.

Anyone have experience with buildings reflecting sunlight into their unit?
Do you guys think 45 The Esplanade building would reflect sunlight into west-facing 75 The Esplanade units?
Would make it a bit more bearable lol.

Back