Mixed feelings about this. The plans for reanimating the alleyway (currently housing Crush Wine Bar and Brassaii Bistro among others, but cut off at the parking lot which fills the back of this lot) sound quite promising. The alleyways running N/S between King and Wellington are an amazing feature which could define the area. At the same time, the building about to be demolished is also very "King and Spadina" and its loss will be a step in watering down the area aesthetic. It should have somehow been reused, at least in part, and I'm not talking lame facadism.

As for the car-oriented stuff in the area: It was much much worse a few years ago. In only the last few years, we've seen the departure of a number of car dealerships (Mitsubishi), muffler places (Midas, Speedy) and collision shops (Krangle's) in the immediate area. But yes, still a few remain, most notably the huge unsightly Toyota dealership at Front/Spadina.

It's amazing, actually, how much intensification this neighbourhood could still handle. The number of pocket parking lots, gas stations, weird concrete forecourts and so on is still quite large. We've a long way to go...

As for the car-oriented stuff in the area: It was much much worse a few years ago. In only the last few years, we've seen the departure of a number of car dealerships (Mitsubishi), muffler places (Midas, Speedy) and collision shops (Krangle's) in the immediate area. But yes, still a few remain, most notably the huge unsightly Toyota dealership at Front/Spadina.

The loss of Krangles--or at least the premises thereof--is more for the worse than for the better in my books...

Mixed feelings about this. The plans for reanimating the alleyway (currently housing Crush Wine Bar and Brassaii Bistro among others, but cut off at the parking lot which fills the back of this lot) sound quite promising. The alleyways running N/S between King and Wellington are an amazing feature which could define the area. At the same time, the building about to be demolished is also very "King and Spadina" and its loss will be a step in watering down the area aesthetic. It should have somehow been reused, at least in part, and I'm not talking lame facadism.
IMO, the merits of the proposal are irrelevent when deciding if a historic building should be saved. The old buildings should be judged on their own merit. Old buildings like this should be preserved even just to preserve a variety of ages and styles in the neighbourhood, which is part of what makes neighbourhoods vital and interesting.

I thought I read the developer changed his plan on demolishing the warehouse when the city added it recently to their growing list of protected properties.

Any documentation to back that up? It would be amazing news. If sandblasted, this building could possibly be quite a looker. The wonderful buildings along King were pretty grimy before they got that treatment...

I had heard that this building was being refurbished for continuing use as commercial space and not being torn down. Earlier thoughts of a condo were abandoned.

Well if the rumours of its reuse are true, then that is an extremely welcome change of events, and unusual for a city that loves to treat its own history like crap.

"In only the last few years, we've seen the departure of a number of car dealerships (Mitsubishi), muffler places (Midas, Speedy) and collision shops (Krangle's) in the immediate area."

On the flip side there are more cars in the area than ever before, so at some point of inflection the displacement of car dealerships and repair shops actually decreases, not increases the quality of the neighbourhood.

What a waste if we lose these. I could live with a facadism of the smaller structure, but the larger industrial building should be saved. Why not do what they've done with TipTop Lofts, Toy Factory Lofts, and many other loft conversions in the city where they ad a set back and more floors to the top of the existing structure. It's times like this where I wonder if we concerned urbantoronto forumers can put our heads together and do something to save buildings like this from the wrecking ball?

Why not do what they've done with TipTop Lofts, Toy Factory Lofts, and many other loft conversions in the city where they ad a set back and more floors to the top of the existing structure.

Costs & time are always a factor (renovations are far more complex/unpredictable) but I would probably put the city's parking requirements above all else for those warehouses with a high lot coverage.

Tearing down historic structures due to a technicality like parking lot provision per density is the height of barbarism.

Costs & time are always a factor (renovations are far more complex/unpredictable) but I would probably put the city's parking requirements above all else for those warehouses with a high lot coverage.

True enough, but have you seen what they charged for units in these buildings? Or have you seen the resale value of units in buildings like TipTop lofts. People will pay extra for something unique like old warehouse space.

I very much hope those saying the building is being preserved are correct...not least because in the absence of sales so far its demolition would probably mean 18 months of carpark.

I think it depends on the quality of the architecture of the original building. The Tip Top building is a fine deco property, whereas this place looks qualitatively closer to the building that has just been demolished on King East to make way for East Lofts that few here moaned about as it bit the dust.

Back