So anything special happening to the old building or just a lot of vacant office space in it now?

No idea. There are still companies on floors 5 and 6 but I'm sure they're going to have to find someone for the first 4 floors soon.

That doesn't say much :)

Regarding the Diesel playhouse is it moving somewhere else and do we know for a fact it is moving I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere.

What's slated to become of the building btw?

Ah one sec, I think your thinking of another Diesel because I don't think the later is on Spadina ... my bad.
Diesel Fitness was in the building on Spadina, and I believe it's closed permanently due to bad management and/or aggressive competition.

Diesel Playhouse is on Blue Jays Way and it's also going to bite the dust when the building it's in is demolished to make way for a condo (there's a proposal floating around the forum for that site).

Are they moving somewhere else though or just closing?
The Diesel playhouse that is.

I haven't heard anything about the Diesel Playhouse relocating. All I know is that the site will be redeveloped. I really hope the Playhouse reopens somewhere else, though!

The lobbyist registry informs that this site (s) is in play.

UT actually has an older thread which references this site (more or less) but has been dormant since 2008.

Let me offer an Aerial pic w/some description here:

1646664290970.png

What's in yellow is what is referenced in the Lobbyist Registry, except that there is no connection between the 2 sites based on the properties in the entry.

The previous UT thread I noted suggested that this parcel was from 46 Spadina northwards and that would fully connect the block in question.

I will show that below, here:

1646664508847.png

The above makes much more sense to me; but I have used the registry for the thread title for now.

Since I referenced the old UT thread, I should link it, here:

Streetview:

Spadina side, as described in the registry:

1646664628978.png

As described in the old UT thread:

1646664672675.png

Wellington side is just this lane (w/the substantial property at the rear not visible via streetview:

1646664862238.png

Proponent: Capitol Developments

Heritage Status: The Spadina-fronting building from 46 is 'listed' but not 'designated'

Does anyone know if they're going to tear down these buildings? Or at least keep the facades when this property is developed? Like to keep the rustic look in this area!

And what Northern Light foretold.... has arrived in the AIC!

1660983030802.png

Of course, * The Docs are Up *

Architect is Wallman

1660983160820.png

1660983252841.png

1660983322146.png

Looking South-East

1660983380837.png

1660983439255.png

1660983498403.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1660984077589.png

1660984200378.png

I like it.

It's a good, deferential fit... and the one time that excessive window mullions are welcome lol... the nod to a warehouse/fashion district vibe (rather like The Morgan's windows IIRC).

Last edited:
The design looks like it's been in the area for many decades. But I'm not sure I like it.

Reactions: syn
I really appreciate the use of brick. The concern is understandable, but this could be one of those projects that ends up being better than the renderings.

This is hideous. The warehouse mimicry doesn’t match or compliment the heritage building. The warehouse mimicry is of a totally different era, it looks like the buildings they tore down on Dupont or the industrial buildings that used to be south of Union Station. The brick colour should contrast the heritage brick, not match it. I mean good for them for trying to do something different but this might be the ugliest proposal of the boom since 2001.

Last edited:

Back