Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
N.B. I'll be posting a bunch of recent development applications in Barrie. Generally, I'll only be including proposals that have had some activity in the last 2-3 years. There are a few more proposals that seem to have stalled years ago, so my posts today aren't exhaustive. But it's clear development is on fire in Barrie--another place flying relatively under the radar like KW and Hamilton. Apologies if any of these proposals have already been posted and please merge the threads.

Application: https://www.barrie.ca/City Hall/Pla...en-Street-47_49_51-and-53-Collier-Street.aspx

Type of ApplicationDate Application Deemed CompleteStatus
Site PlanJune 25, 2019Under Review

"An original Site Plan Application was made in April 2018 for a 14 storey 193 suite retirement residence with amenity and commercial uses at grade.

A resubmission with a revised concept was made June 25th, 2019 and includes two additional properties (51 and 53 Collier Street) within the subject application. The revised proposal was for a 16 storey, 290 unit retirement residence with ground floor amenities and commercial and underground parking.

A third submission was provided to the City on February 5th, 2020 proposing structural design changes to the building’s foundation to avoid the water table. The change also result in a decreased total number of parking spaces (67 spaces, whereas 116 are required). The plans also propose additional ground floor commercial space (171 square metres) and additional residential units (314 units)."

Arch plans:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Streetview:

4.JPG

From the revised submission:

1676485446982.png

1676485517823.png

1676485544631.png

1676485568725.png

Comments: Tower is humdrum, so is brick portion of podium.

My strongest objection to the architecture, as proposed, is extension of the tower-form glazing/cladding down to street level, interrupting the brick for no particular reason. Ugly choice.

Second, i would prefer to see the on-street lay-by on Collier removed in favour of two additional street trees. They show the Collier sidewalk as relatively narrow and minimally landscaped.

They're also proposing Ginkos as their street tree, I would prefer a native selection..

Back