urbandreamer

recession proof
Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed office redevelopment of 474 Wellington Street West--currently a 2 storey office building on the north side. With Westbank's BIG project to the north, I'm expecting 10-12 storeys here. Hope it's good Quadrangle with an attractive red brick facade.

Source: Toronto Lobby Registry.

Taller and not Quadrangle

Slightly more detail released now. The proposal will be 15 storeys, as per the Toronto Development Applications page.

1- Day.jpg

2 - Night.jpg

Attachments

• 1- Day.jpg
    1- Day.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,770
  • 2 - Night.jpg
    2 - Night.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 1,631
That's just a standard BIM curtainwall family. No doubt what they spec in the built project will look better.

There's not too much you can do on such a narrow plot but I'm not too hot on this type of massing. It makes the plots next door feel orphaned.

ps. Where did the renderings come from? I want to take a look at the drawings but they don't seem to be up on the dev. apps site yet.

Too tall. Perfect development to incorporate a brise soleil too.

Too tall?
It backs onto the BIG project on King West.
There's a 16 storey building proposed at 485 Wellington, 23 storeys at 422 Wellington
Also, the 6 residential towers on The Well that range from 15 storeys (fronting onto Wellington) to 45.

Wellington is growing up

With regard to the BIG proposal, the drawings for this show a retail unit at the north end of the building. Seems like aA and Hullmark are banking on traffic from King coming through here.

Too tall?
It backs onto the BIG project on King West.
There's a 16 storey building proposed at 485 Wellington, 23 storeys at 422 Wellington
Also, the 6 residential towers on The Well that range from 15 storeys (fronting onto Wellington) to 45.

Wellington is growing up

It's 2 to 3 times taller than the neighbouring condo conversions. It just looks jarring in the rendering and that's the narrow end. Imagine the blank walls looming over everything from the east /west perspective. I really couldn't care less what's happening across the street or, what has been applied for down the road.

That's an opinion

The Well is a separate zoning amendment and a proposal that includes considerable public amenities. Plus, it treats the heights of the building in a way that respects the historical importance of Wellington Street in that area. This proposal references the nearby Brad Lamb building as the two would have similar height.

Back