*docs are up*

Architect: BDPQ

1633535676667.png

1633535700651.png

1633535723891.png

1633535743468.png

1633535836525.png

1633535926566.png

Loving the trend toward a warmer material palette and more solidity (as opposed to emphasis on glass). I really like the divergence from the 2 tower attached by 1 podium typology and the plaza / mews on Yonge Street that lead to the parkette behind. Given this and a couple of other proposed projects in the area, there is hope yet for Yonge Street!

don't like the middle park. It'll be dark and represents an unnecessary break in the streetwall.

From Streetview, a look at the prospective open spaces (current condition) and potential for light.

Park at eastern end of site: (looking south, from the north end of the site)

1633538011091.png

(now looking south, from the southern end of the site)

1633538120109.png

Based on the above, there is sufficient potential sunlight, providing that no development of the Toronto Hydro building occurs, and any development on its parking lot is very short. There is no sun from the east or west at this location, except any small amount that might occur through the mid-block park/pops.

Any building on the south side over 3s will slowly remove all remaining light from the space as it increases in height, the shadow going further and further north.

Mid-Block Space

Very limited sun from the east, will crest the adjacent apartment in the brighter months, but not that much:

1633538340542.png

The western view, from the Yonge Street side:

1633538433165.png

Halo will block a lot of light.

I'm inclined to agree with @innsertnamehere that any mid-block mews will be challenged for light.

It could be an interesting space still, providing wind can be mitigated; but may require extensive artificial light even during peripheral daytime hours (prior to sunset and after sunrise)

For reasons that defy logic to me (maybe the shadowing will break differently than I think) they've proposed a Ginko in that middle space; Ginko's are a full sun species.

Curiously, they've also proposed Canada Yew, which is very much a deep shade species............

Last edited:
don't like the middle park. It'll be dark and represents an unnecessary break in the streetwall.
Absolutely. I really wish we had more inclination towards larger and more multi-use podiums. Though I do get that the examples of where it's been done (Empress Walk, Aura, etc.) have had limited success and takeup...

I dream of a Hysan Place style vertical mall at some point, but it seems that that's not what's supportable in Toronto. *sigh...*

generateImage

yup. This has a piddly little token retail space on yonge and that's it. Meanwhile there are unconsolidated parking ramps and loading spaces taking up about 2/3 of the ground floor. They need to do a bit more thinking on the ground plane here, and Kingsett has to be willing to spend the $$$ to do it right, because this isn't it.

Although many of these high-rises do cast a shadow, they also reflect sunlight. My lower floor, west facing unit looks directly onto this site. I know about shadows. I often get reflected sunlight flooding my apartment in the morning. It is bounced off Murano and Burano as well as Teahouse. Alas, Halo is quickly obliterating my view of Burano though I'm confident it will offer up it's own light source.

Absolutely. I really wish we had more inclination towards larger and more multi-use podiums. Though I do get that the examples of where it's been done (Empress Walk, Aura, etc.) have had limited success and takeup...

I dream of a Hysan Place style vertical mall at some point, but it seems that that's not what's supportable in Toronto. *sigh...*

generateImage

I have no issues with this example, but I'm genuinely curious about why you commonly mention Hysan Place as a benchmark. Is it your favourite vertical mall from Hong Kong or are you more impressed by its architectural expression?

I spent about 1.5 months in that city back in 2011 exploring everything, which is before Hysan Place was completed. And didn't have time to visit it in 2018. But from my experiences, my favourite vertical malls in HK would be Langham Place in Mongkok or APM in Kwun Tong.

I mean, when you have a massive development like this and the most active uses you can cram on the ground floor is this... there's something wrong:

View attachment 353935

If there were some decent hope for the middle space/mews, it would surely involve at least some retail facing inward, perhaps with a slim Yonge presence as well.

A cafe or two would the obvious choices.

Likewise Wood St. and Alexander deserve greater animation.

I have no issues with this example, but I'm genuinely curious about why you commonly mention Hysan Place as a benchmark. Is it your favourite vertical mall from Hong Kong or are you more impressed by it's architectural expression?

I spent about 1.5 months in that city back in 2011 exploring everything, which is before Hysan Place was completed. And didn't have time to visit it in 2018. But from my experiences, my favourite vertical malls in HK would be Langham Place in Mongkok or APM in Kwun Tong.
It's a good question. Maybe it is my favorite? Hard to say though. I guess I love the way that something so large can just weave its way right into Causeway Bay's older, shop house, stock on the south side:

While still fitting into the bustle of Hennessey road at the front:

generateImage

Langham and apm (all lower case ;) ) are both fantastic, for sure. The former because of the absolutely unreal, yet remarkably sensible layout (escalator to the top and walk your way down, so that the units at the top aren't orphaned) and apm because of that atrium and those escalators are just incredible. At the end of the day, I just love dense, vertical, retail and I'm sad we can't better make it work here.

If you're interested Stefan Al has a great book on all of this from a couple of years ago: https://www.stefanal.com/mall-city

Wow very regal looking !! Much! much! better than the previous rendering. And it deserves to have its hieght extended, and to be located on the the waterfront ! As seen in the photos up above!

Back