Team up with developmer next door! To recreate the same ideal as One King West. Keeping and restoring the nice historical buildings. And develope the tower next door with a beefed up supertall to get the ideal prophet between the two companies. Should be right thing to do in my opinion.

The tower is actually nice, but not atop a heritage building. As for ShartCentres, I hate them with the fire of a thousand suns. Vast paved parking-lot wastelands, they are the epitome of an anti-urban, car-centric culture.

I guess this project would get rid of the roof top patio and the really nice aluminum siding.

602DCE62-4D76-414C-B8C4-46E9D9F20A16.jpeg

DACD0C99-4653-4F6C-856C-B73C9C53AD5B.jpeg

22F85692-21EA-4E17-8DAF-8BBECAE6835B.jpeg

...so I am going out on a limb here to suggest one of the better ways to handle any development here is to hand off the design portion to Robert A. M. Stern (or somebody of that caliber). To at least avoid this building having the appearance of a 216 metre malignant growth spurting out of it in the end.

Reactions: xy3
SmartCentre's Q3 2022 investors presentation notes that they have "Agreed to purchase the neighbouring property" here.

Any guesses which property that would be?

Interesting; and 'No'. (well, no knowledge).

I don't see a lot of strategic value in either potential site, 53 Yonge is hemmed in and can't do anything w/their land, and doesn't add much value that I can see.

The complex on Wellington, to the east, is a single holding on TO Maps with the 88 Scott Condos.

That site too looks pretty stranded.

But if I were looking at options, I think I might look east for a couple of reasons. There are some meters to play with on the lower levels that might allow for less intrusion on the heritage property; and the proposal here calls for offices on the lower floors and that could be integrated w/the same on the Wellington property..

But that's just a complete flyer on my part.

Makes me think they have picked up the 55 Yonge site, for what it's worth, to develop the block a bit more comprehensively.

55 Yonge just got its zoning though, so I'm not sure what SmartCentres play would be with it.

Back