Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't see anything on the DevAp site but some drilling going on this morning. I put the full complex's address as a starting point assuming that something is brewing here.

IMG_8246.JPG
IMG_8248.JPG
IMG_8247.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 4,537
  • IMG_8248.JPG
    IMG_8248.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 4,141
  • IMG_8247.JPG
    IMG_8247.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 3,898

49 ONTARIO ST
Ward 13 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning By-law Amendment application for a 36-storey mixed-use building comprised of 881 residential dwelling units and 13,781 square metres of non-residential gross floor area.

-------------------------

Currently listed as an office building property on Dream's website. It's likely that the redevelopment is planned by them, although technically not confirmed by the Application details yet.

49 Ontario Street, right between Richmond and Adelaide, also just south of Lamb's East 55 development:

Last edited:
881 units suggests something a little more than a standard 36 storey point tower.
I would be led to believe it will be two towers on a shared podium. I imagine they would incorporate 49 Ontario's parking lot which backs onto Berkeley Street. From what I measure on Google Maps approx. 67,000 square ft of lot area.

Looking at the property closer on Google Maps, it appears that there's also an extension that flows onto Adelaide and wraps around the corner low-rise. Along with another low-rise structure right along Adelaide which has a shipping and receiving area. It's attached to the larger main building.

From Toronto Maps. From what I understand the parcel includes the parking lot and is larger than I could get to fit in the window while having the parcels shown.
49 Ontario- Toronto Maps.png

Pretty good, not mindblowing. This reminds me of Tower Hill Apartments at St. Clair and Spadina.

Doesn't look very aA... looks fussy. The grid should be simplified. Also, for how contextual East55 is with the brick and warehouse style podium motif, this doesn’t feel contextual for Corktown.

Last edited:
The podium and the shorter tower both look pretty damn awful, but the 2 taller towers are definitely things that we need more of.

Now only if Dream can choose some good quality materials for this...

The podium is unforgivably awful.

If this is where AA's work is going, maybe time to disband.

The towers have potential, but they aren't great and FFS would it kill them to use some colour.

Yuck. Another big block development in a neighbourhood that deserves better.

Back