City planning...cut down the parking, please. Why are we still doing 0.5 parking-ratios in 2022 on a site a 3-min walk from an Ontario Line station..?
Clown comment. I live in one of the few condos nearby and 80%+ of the parking spots are used by the owners, with 1 parking spot for every unit. There is literally no parking on the side streets in the evening in this area, and the Ontario line is about 10 years away if it every happens. If anything they need to make sure there is sufficient parking for this new condo, especially visitor parking, otherwise people will be illegally parking on other people's property, which already happens at our building.

The OLT hearing for this one is just over 3 weeks away; February 21st, 2023.

If there's a settlement offer coming, it would typically appear on the next Council agenda.

That agenda will probably be up on Wednesday.

The OLT hearing for this one is just over 3 weeks away; February 21st, 2023.

If there's a settlement offer coming, it would typically appear on the next Council agenda.

That agenda will probably be up on Wednesday.
I apologize in advance, I'm a local who lives near this proposed development who has zero understanding of...well anything to be honest.

Is there anyway you could ELI5 your comment for me?

What happens if there is a settlement offer? It shows up on city councils agenda?

Again, my apologies, please bear with me.

I apologize in advance, I'm a local who lives near this proposed development who has zero understanding of...well anything to be honest.

No need for apologies; we all learn by asking questions!

Is there anyway you could ELI5 your comment for me?

I doubt we have to lower it quite that far, LOL But sure.

What happens if there is a settlement offer? It shows up on city councils agenda?

So, more or less, yes.

If you think of it as a civil court case, which it is, sorta (the Tribunal is not divisional court, but the idea is somewhat similar).........
When you sue someone, you and the person you sued can arrive at a settlement, more or less at any point before the matter goes to the judge (or in the case Tribunal member) for decision; though typically before the hearing actually begins.

If the desire is to ratify a settlement prior to the hearing date, then the offer (if made) will need to go to Council with a direction to staff and legal to propose the settlement offer, jointly with the appellant when the hearing date arrives.
Should that window be missed, the City's lawyers and those of the appellant can still come to terms, but they can't actually settle w/o Council's permission, which means they would have to seek an adjournment of some kind.

Failing that, the OLT would hear the case, and rule and its judgement would generally be final.

While the OLT tends, overwhelmingly, to favour developers, there is the odd time it does not, so there is always some risk to the appellant that they will be one of those times the Tribunal sides w/the City, so there is generally an incentive to come to settlement if there is any reasonable hope of one.

Sometimes, of course, the developer is adamant in not changing or reducing in size their proposal, in which case, no offer is forthcoming.

Equally, the City is sometimes unwilling to budge if they think a proposal is sufficiently absurd, or would risk setting a terrible precedent.

In this case, unless it was added at the last minute and I missed it, there was no settlement offer for this property on the last Council agenda.

There will be a Council meeting this coming week, but it is intended to be dedicated to the budget, so it's unlikely something like this would show up at that meeting, but not impossible, I suppose; though it is not on the agenda.

No need for apologies; we all learn by asking questions!

I doubt we have to lower it quite that far, LOL But sure.

So, more or less, yes.

If you think of it as a civil court case, which it is, sorta (the Tribunal is not divisional court, but the idea is somewhat similar).........
When you sue someone, you and the person you sued can arrive at a settlement, more or less at any point before the matter goes to the judge (or in the case Tribunal member) for decision; though typically before the hearing actually begins.

If the desire is to ratify a settlement prior to the hearing date, then the offer (if made) will need to go to Council with a direction to staff and legal to propose the settlement offer, jointly with the appellant when the hearing date arrives.
Should that window be missed, the City's lawyers and those of the appellant can still come to terms, but they can't actually settle w/o Council's permission, which means they would have to seek an adjournment of some kind.

Failing that, the OLT would hear the case, and rule and its judgement would generally be final.

While the OLT tends, overwhelmingly, to favour developers, there is the odd time it does not, so there is always some risk to the appellant that they will be one of those times the Tribunal sides w/the City, so there is generally an incentive to come to settlement if there is any reasonable hope of one.

Sometimes, of course, the developer is adamant in not changing or reducing in size their proposal, in which case, no offer is forthcoming.

Equally, the City is sometimes unwilling to budge if they think a proposal is sufficiently absurd, or would risk setting a terrible precedent.

In this case, unless it was added at the last minute and I missed it, there was no settlement offer for this property on the last Council agenda.

There will be a Council meeting this coming week, but it is intended to be dedicated to the budget, so it's unlikely something like this would show up at that meeting, but not impossible, I suppose; though it is not on the agenda.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this process.

I just have one more question if you don't mind. What confuses me is what design are the OLT deliberating on exactly? There are the boards on cosburn and Gowan that reflect the old 15 storey design to the public but as I've heard from this thread, it seems as if they've now redesigned it to be 22 storeys.

If the OLT decides in favor of the developers (which seems likely) is it the new proposal that the general public isn't aware of that is going through? If so, how is that even allowed?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this process.

I just have one more question if you don't mind. What confuses me is what design are the OLT deliberating on exactly? There are the boards on cosburn and Gowan that reflect the old 15 storey design to the public but as I've heard from this thread, it seems as if they've now redesigned it to be 22 storeys.

If the OLT decides in favor of the developers (which seems likely) is it the new proposal that the general public isn't aware of that is going through? If so, how is that even allowed?

First, based on the documentation before the OLT, I would say it's the 15s proposal that is being looked at, there is no reference to 22s in the first CMC documents.

Second, I'm very sure the 23rd, (in 2 weeks) was due to be a hearing, but on the E-Status website it is currently listed as a CMC or Case Management Conference.

So there won't be a final adjudication in 2 weeks regardless, it seems.

So, weirdly, the above report has still not been posted publicly, but we now know what was in it..........

Because, a Decision Report - Approval Recommended is coming to the next meeting of TEYCC for this one, including rental demolition permissions.

This one has ended up at 24s; @Art Tsai will wish to update the database.

Of note to @HousingNowTO

The Community Benefit here is 10 net new affordable housing units secured for 30 years.

Last edited:
So, weirdly, the above report has still not been posted publicly, but we now know what was in it..........

Because, a Decision Report - Approval Recommended is coming to the next meeting of TEYCC for this one, including rental demolition permissions.

This one has ended up at 24s; @Art Tsai will wish to update the database.

Of note to @HousingNowTO

The Community Benefit here is 10 net new affordable housing units secured for 30 years.

Just updated from 22s to 24s and the total units changed to 424 units. @Northern Light

Last edited:
City planning...cut down the parking, please. Why are we still doing 0.5 parking-ratios in 2022 on a site a 3-min walk from an Ontario Line station..?
Parking never seems to translate into the unit price.

Buyers will still get gauged even without parking.

The new rendering is updated in the database. Rendering taken from the arch plan via rezoning submission.
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Plans_5-19 Cosburn & 8-40 Gowan-25.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Plans_5-19 Cosburn & 8-40 Gowan-26.jpg

Back