ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score

Proposal for a 15-storey residential apartment building having a gross floor area of 25,950 square metres and 316 residential dwelling units.

Dev.png

This is first time that I've seen a developer take out so many mid 20th century home to develope a condo. Could this be the norm in all major centers in Toronto like Midtown and Uptown etc. Where a hole housing block will be sentenced to demolition for a major development. WOW !!

This is first time that I've seen a developer take out so many mid 20th century home to develope a condo. Could this be the norm in all major centers in Toronto like Midtown and Uptown etc. Where a hole housing block will be sentenced to demolition for a major development. WOW !!

I would imagine we'll see more and more SFHs get demolished with each passing year all across the GTA. Once we're out of old industrial land, plazas and shopping malls to redevelop, the yellow belt is the last frontier for intensification. I do agree with the current government's insistence on density near major transit stops and look forward to seeing how that plays out in planning and development.

To be honest i'm not liking the trend we're seeing here, we need to have a variety of housing forms in Toronto. I agree with redeveloping single family housing units across major arterial roads, but only where warranted and where it conforms to the neighborhood surroundings.

From the looks of it, a high-rise development would fit here since the stretch of Gowan Ave immediately to the east is virtually all high-rise builds. But to say we should be doing this across Toronto is stretching things too far. The last thing we need is condos sprouting up in every which way possible, all over the city. The missing middle is a well documented problem we're having, and the last thing we need is to have a missing "bottom" end.

Good site for intensification. Along a frequent bus route, bike lanes, walking distance to shops on Pape and 2 supermarkets.

Cosburn frontage:

View attachment 290808

Gowan frontage ( and a bit more to the east)

View attachment 290811
This area needs more intensification like St James town needs more slab towers. This area (with apartment corridor stretching from Broadview to Donlands) has next to ZERO parkland and no the trail in the valley does not count. The Chester/Westwood school ground serves as the local park and it gets beaten to hell from overuse. Adding more towers in this neighbourhood is beyond ridiculous.

This area needs more intensification like St James town needs more slab towers. This area (with apartment corridor stretching from Broadview to Donlands) has next to ZERO parkland and no the trail in the valley does not count. The Chester/Westwood school ground serves as the local park and it gets beaten to hell from overuse. Adding more towers in this neighbourhood is beyond ridiculous.

First, let me say we disagree.

Second, let me say we agree on the parkland question; and this new development will bring a requirement for either an on-site park dedication, or cash-in-lieu for parks, which is the only way this area will get more parkland.

I fully intend to engage Planning in discussion on the appropriate strategy here.

My instinct would be to dedicate the money to expanding the existing Livingstone Park to the north, south to Torrens; and then acquire enough space for a path on to Gamble.

1608828074937.png

Other logical choices would be the expansion of the small Charles Sauriol Parkette on Broadview to the west; or the acquisition of seemingly vacant land behind 25 Cosburn; though in the latter case, I believe this would be strata over a parking garage and my be less desirable for this reason.

The neighbourhood can achieve a significant benefit through this new housing, not only in Parks, but in high-quality rental housing stock, an improved streetscape, and more.

Last edited:
School capacity in that area is underpressure too - in 2018 the nearby middle and elementary were at 90+, and no relief further south (Jackman, 104%)

This project is listed on Trolleybus' website. Architect is the IBI Group:

cosburn.JPG

Site Plan is here:

1611253620697.png

Not a fan of the little micro-park idea.

This is the building that is going to take out part of this subdivision with homes ! It would look a little nicer with more solids materials for walls instead of glass.

Back