Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From The Lobbyist Registry, we glean:

Diamond Corp is reaching for the Gold.............LOL.....

They're lobbying to get 79 storeys here! Wait til a certain councillor gets wind of this!

Hey @HousingNowTO might want to lobby to defer the Merton project; there's now a powerful lobby to re-set the height precedent here!

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32332​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

50 & 64 Merton Street 79 Storey Tower - Residential

Aerial Pic:

1631626183676.png

Site Size: 2800m2/30,000ft2

Street Level Pics:

50 Merton

1631626502233.png

Taken from: https://www.acotoronto.ca/show_building.php?BuildingID=4551

64 Merton:

1631626641301.png

Taken from: https://www.blogto.com/gallery/al-green-gallery-toronto/

Heritage Status: Neither building is listed or designated.

perhaps it's a typo? I just don't see what DiamondCorp are thinking here if they really are going for 79st...

That's certainly plausible.

The height ask, as it reads in the registry is certainly wildly out of step with what's been granted in the area.

It's also not in line with other Diamond projects in similar areas.

29 seems a good deal more believable.........

But we shall have to wait and see I suppose.

I think everyone is right that this is probably a typo, but on the other hand, it's an apartment neighbourhood, one block in from Yonge, at Davisville station. Would 79 storeys here really be so bad?

As an aside, the current site context has me imagining the lobbying efforts will involve a lot of cookies. If I were being lobbied, I'd hope for vanilla, but mint would not be bad either.

I think everyone is right that this is probably a typo, but on the other hand, it's an apartment neighbourhood, one block in from Yonge, at Davisville station. Would 79 storeys here really be so bad?

As an aside, the current site context has me imagining the lobbying efforts will involve a lot of cookies. If I were being lobbied, I'd hope for vanilla, but mint would not be bad either.

That actually reminds me of attending those Galleria redevelopment community consultation meetings held at the Wallace Emerson Community Centre prior to the pandemic. I ate so many free cookies and snacks there that I was convinced. :)

Do you council will give them the 79 storeys? I say only half of that in floors count! Would be nice to see that hieght with observation deck!

I saw this the other day regarding a fake sign. Seems to be in the same area I’m not sure lol. Is it the same?

No. There is no 'Notice' here.

The information comes from the Lobbyist Registry, when a developer or their agents register with the City to lobby, typically a Councillor and/or Planning to allow something.

So the potential application is real; what probably is not is the height, which most agree here would be a fairly absurd ask............and also out of character for this particular developer.

That said.........we'll have to wait and see.

If you were to count each floor plate as a little over 10 ft . That would make this building as high as about 800 ft into the sky , 200 ft short from being a super tall. It would even be taller from the first few higher floor plates and mechanical floors plates etc for this area Wow!!.

Back