Looks like they changed the image on that article. It used to be one of the women in the article with her arms crossed. She took quite the beating on Reddit when she ventured in there to defend herself.

The local Facbook group has been up in arms about this and every other parking lot closure.

Yeah, it's these dumbasses:

I feel like the community group may have hijacked the Toronto Star poll. Unless my expectations for humanity are too high and the general public actually values parking over affordable housing

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - public consultations are a waste of time

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - public consultations are a waste of time

In terms of effecting material change in a proposed development, generally agree with you. Having been to a number of public consultation meetings over the years, there are some which have resulted in rethink and redesign of proposed developments - sometimes because of response by the developer, sometimes from the City planning department agreeing to not go with strict enforcement with planning guidelines. Local examples of changes resulting largely from public consultations are King Toronto (lots of community support overcoming initial Planning Department concerns about its lack of conformity to planning guidelines), and the Allied / Great Gulf proposal where city planning guidelines would have access be from the lowest order street bordering the site - in this case Morrison Street - which based on community push-back was revised to being primarily from Brant Street.

In general terms - if the public consultation part of the process did not take place, the lack of opportunity to voice opinions - in some cases for people to just vent and / grandstand - would be lost, and neighbourhood frustrations would find another way of expressing themselves - such as LPAT appeals.

So as much as a pain they can be, and an annoying waste of time for many of the participants, public consultations seem to be a key and essential part of the process.

So the meeting last night was what you'd expect from selfish entitled babies crowing about their parking spots. There were a few legitimate concerns about how affordable the housing will really be, but the rest of it was utter garbage from small minded people who are now, at the encouragement of Councilor Pasternak, protesting this development so it doesn't get built.

I'd encourage everyone, even if you don't live in the ward, to email the following to let them know housing is more important than parking at this site and delaying it 3 years for another site so a small number of people are not inconvenienced is unacceptable.

mayor_tory@toronto.ca; councillor_pasternak@toronto.ca; perry.korouyenis@toronto.ca; housingnow@toronto.ca; info@createto.ca;

Don't worry, they are going to try that in addition to making asses of themselves at the consultation.
So the meeting last night was what you'd expect from selfish entitled babies crowing about their parking spots. There were a few legitimate concerns about how affordable the housing will really be, but the rest of it was utter garbage from small minded people who are now, at the encouragement of Councilor Pasternak, protesting this development so it doesn't get built.

I'd encourage everyone, even if you don't live in the ward, to email the following to let them know housing is more important than parking at this site and delaying it 3 years for another site so a small number of people are not inconvenienced is unacceptable.

mayor_tory@toronto.ca; councillor_pasternak@toronto.ca; perry.korouyenis@toronto.ca; housingnow@toronto.ca; info@createto.ca;

What an opinion to have of your fellow citizens and human beings, bravo.

I live close to people whom instead of having election signs have "no more townhouses" signs. They're trying to bully their neighbours into not selling their giant lots to be divided up into multiple townhouses. Now I've heard everything. You can't even argue about shadowing or privacy issues from people looking down from a condo into your backyard. People are simply complaining because they don't want more people in their area and equally importantly poorer people in their area. The fact is people can be nuts about the possibility of more people moving in their area.

I never in my life understand how people who are purchasing property in this real estate market could ever be considered "poor"

They are probably wealthier than these NIMBYs whose grandparents bought these houses for $30,000.

I never in my life understand how people who are purchasing property in this real estate market could ever be considered "poor"

They are probably wealthier than these NIMBYs whose grandparents bought these houses for $30,000.
You're considered poor buying a townhouse at 800k relatively to people whom are sitting on 1.5+ million properties. At least that is how a good amount of detached home owners in my area think. As a result "no more townhouses" signs are on as many lawns as conservative signs.

Cash poor? Maybe. But they are sitting on a $1,500,000-$2,000,000 property, fully owned. That type of net worth is huge, and can be leveraged with things like a HELOC without losing the asset.

I hate the sob storeys the media always runs about some "poor old little retired couple" that can't afford the property tax on their inner city mansion they've owned for 60 years. Boohoo, you have a net worth of well over 7 figures. Figure out how to leverage that. HELOC, sell and move, whatever. They have lots of options, and are choosing to give up ridiculous amounts of cash because they "don't want to move". Bull crap.

Back