Yes, Freed deserves praise and respect for looking after such details in the execution of his projects.

Great infill. Wood panelling is an inspired touch. So rare and refreshing to have a developer who actually cares about the aesthetics of his finished product, rather than just the bottom line.

500 Wellington is a fantastic project, but I don't know, does Freed deserve the praise, or does Core? The +/- $900 psf selling price of 500 Wellington allowed Core to carry through details to a high standard. Any good architect would love to see this happen on all of their projects, but usually these refinements get cut due to bottom line. If Freed didn't allow for these refinements he'd be shooting himself in the foot. Got to hand it to him for recognizing the market and taking the risk though.

I'm pissed that Freed, having already bulldozed the entire Front/Bathurst site, also plans to demolish the Sherwin Williams building and the 5 storey 120 yr old brick warehouse behind Waddingtons/650 King. All of these are great buildings that should be retained and incorporated. They are the substance of King West. They are solid, beautiful, historic, and dense enough to be viable. They house the design firms, creative industries, and studios that made King West so appealing in the first place. These activities are being forced out, one by one.

Does Freed really care about the subtle qualities that make a place great? Or is Freed a suburban kid that saw a market: good design (by others), neighbourhood 'vibe' (by others). The fact that he keeps pushing densities too far, watering down good architecture too far (thompson res), tearing down good buildings (better than the ones that replace them), is starting to make me disillusioned. He's made his millions. And millions. When is he going to start giving back?

Last edited:
I think he moved back there. I guess there was an absence of family-sized units in his buildings.

I think he moved back there. I guess there was an absence of family-sized units in his buildings.

well he's lived in several of the PH units in his buildings, and IIRC they were all well north of 2,000 sf.
to me, that`s more than enough for a family.

dsc0130ui.jpg

This is the kind of streetscape we were supposed to be getting in the East Bayfront. I'm thrilled to see we can build like this in some areas of the city, if not the waterfront. I see a very bright future for Wellington West, provided they keep this up on the south side.

well he's lived in several of the PH units in his buildings, and IIRC they were all well north of 2,000 sf.
to me, that`s more than enough for a family.

You see, my comment was funny because Freed really doesn't want to put up any family-sized units these days, preferring instead to build quick-selling bachelor closets. His 2,000 square foot place was as much for business as it was for living. I doubt he does that in his Forest Hill pad.

Pics taken Mar 18, 2012

A little design/construction oddity with the balcony glass and the concrete pillar.

gc6BY.jpg

GKCSz.jpg

Best residential project in the GTA under 20 floors in the last decade ?

I think so.

^^^^^
I'd second that. But watch out for 277 Dav and Hive Lofts for competition!

I think Parc Lofts is better. This building may be in 2nd place.

Not even close, doubt Parc lofts would make my top 5 ... as nice as it is, we've had at least a handful that have been better.

Now this is based entirely on the exterior to be clear, Parc lofts has an amazing lobby.

Nice update, Red Mars. Amazing attention to details on this building, I especially love the wood panels under the balconies. Very high quality building overall, and Freedville's finest to date.

This part of Wellington has become such a charming side street. Great mix of old warehouses and nice new additions. All we need now are those few patches of parking lots on the south side to be filled in with similar development and we've got a pretty complete streetscape.

I think Parc Lofts is better. This building may be in 2nd place.
The unfortunate part about Parc Lofts is its location. It's almost like BJL put too much in that development for its location and the park to the east is overrated. Put that building on Wellington Street West and it would certainly get more buzz.
Hopefully, BJL can pick up some co-development opportunities when the Globe sells those lands.
S'Bus

This is one of my dream condos I would love to live in. It's beautifully built.

True boutique condos in the heart of the downtown are becoming very rare, which is very unfortunate. Blame it on the investor-driven economy.

Back