New App in the AIC for this one.

1632996518806.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=iATbPGe4vrH1cD8pLz/hdQ==

Aerial Pic:

1632996562861.png

Street level image:

1632996686772.png

taken from: https://www.lennard.com/spaces/586-eglinton-avenue-e

Currently a medical office building. Proposal appears to replace the office space and add the residential.

Wow was not expecting that, it's where one of my doctor's offices are located! Very interesting as they recently did some renovation work in the interior to retrofit and replace the horrid old elevators and some notable cosmetic work on all floors within the past 2-3 years.

That proposed 4672 square metres of non-residential space damn well better be all office space, because the building is actually fairly well used from that aspect of things.

Apart from showing what could've been and missed potential, I'm not sure what's the context with that large imaginary tower placed at the SE corner of Bayview & Eg in this rendering. As much as I would've liked to see a building built above the Crosstown station entrance, all we're getting in the immediate future is an underwhelming 1-storey structure.

1635349170163-png.358616

Apart from showing what could've been and missed potential, I'm not sure what's the context with that large imaginary tower placed at the SE corner of Bayview & Eg in this rendering. As much as I would've liked to see a building built above the Crosstown station entrance, all we're getting in the immediate future is an underwhelming 1-storey structure.

1635349170163-png.358616

More is coming.

😉

Not sure if it looks like that.......but more is coming.

Yeah this one is overbearing, it would pretty much tower everything around the immediate Eglinton and Bayview area. It would be perfectly fine around Eglinton and Yonge, or Eglinton and Mt.Pleasant but the height needs to be trimmed down.

The balcony treatments look interesting, but apart from that the current building is more visually interesting. An updated take on the brick and concrete banding would make for a far more interesting podium but I think egos are too big to admit that a lot of our seemingly utilitarian '60s/'70s buildings are more stylish than what they can come up with nowadays.

As you would typically press me to elaborate, let's flip the tables here for a moment. Why would it be appropriate to see this scale here?
Fair enough.

Generally, I rarely find issues of height 'incompatibility' worth their weight. We've had big buildings beside small buildings for time immemorial and it's never done anyone harm. An anecdote I like to give folks is that I've been following Toronto development in one way or another for 15+ years and have seen countless projects apply, get rejected for being too tall / too dense, appeal to the Board, win at the Board, and get constructed. Once constructed, the fights are forgotten and everyone goes on with their lives. I've not once genuinely felt that something the City denied was, when constructed, legitimately 'too tall'.

At the end of the day, it'll look something like this, and it will be fine.

1635427658795.png

Who can forget the pearl-clutching from the St. Nicholas crew a decade ago? Most can, because they don't care and everyone just goes on with their lives.

1635427804285.png

Fair enough.

Generally, I rarely find issues of height 'incompatibility' worth their weight. We've had big buildings beside small buildings for time immemorial and it's never done anyone harm. An anecdote I like to give folks is that I've been following Toronto development in one way or another for 15+ years and have seen countless projects apply, get rejected for being too tall / too dense, appeal to the Board, win at the Board, and get constructed. Once constructed, the fights are forgotten and everyone goes on with their lives. I've not once genuinely felt that something the City denied was, when constructed, legitimately 'too tall'.

At the end of the day, it'll look something like this, and it will be fine.

View attachment 358929

Who can forget the pearl-clutching from the St. Nicholas crew a decade ago? Most can, because they don't care and everyone just goes on with their lives.

View attachment 358930
Interesting take, not that I agree with you on this in this particular instance but you make a fair point.

What i'll say is that I believe this stretch of Eglinton from Mt.Pleasant to Bayview should be a solid mid-rise corridor with heights stepping up as you approach those key intersections. Now some might say this classifies as that "step up", but not if the proposal is supposed to be much taller than anything else around that intersection.

Back