Too small? My wife and I live in a well laid out, 730sf, two bedroom and certainly don't want for space. I can easily see another bedroom in there if we had an extra 277sf. The bowling alleys here are hilarious garbage though.

Still like Bill Gates' little house...

210506104153-file-02-gates-family-home-lake-washington-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Welcome to Xanadu 2.0: The 66,000-square-foot Gates estate in Medina, Washington, photographed in 2000.

Last edited:
1,000 sq.ft. is perfectly fine for a 3 bedroom. You don't need more than 1,000-1,200 for a 3 bed. The layout usually sabotages the large area. For example, I have a 1,050 sq.ft. 2 bedroom and it feels cramped because of the crap layout. It could easily have been a decent 3 bed. One of my friends has a 1,400 sq.ft. (!) 2 bed and there's a lot of wasted space even though it could have been a very comfortable 3 bed/2 bath, or even a den/third bathroom.

My bedrooms are reasonably laid out, the smallest, (my office) would only be suitable for a child (its 10 x 8); so no double bed in here!

The one thing about my space that drives me nuts is the layout of the living room/dining/kitchen.

I have a pretty small galley kitchen, a modest 10 x 10 dining room; and a very odd 11 x 22 living room.

I would really prefer if the kitchen extended into what is now the dining with at least a partially open concept; the dining could then shift to the far end of my living room in an 11 x 10 space; then the residual living room would be 11 x 12, give or take if you shifted the start of the kitchen over a bit.

It's a bonkers layout; especially for an apartment that was envisioned for a small family and built at a time before dish washers or microwaves......( I am counter space challenged!)

Last edited:
Sorry for the off topic post again, but just wanted to bring up floor plans once more.

One thing that always irritated my family was the lack of kitchen windows in Canadian/Western apartments. No matter the size, there's no unit with kitchen windows.

This is extra disappointing given the oversized living rooms in older units, meaning there's plenty of space to swap the kitchen and dining room so the former has a window instead of the latter.

However, kitchens with windows are the norm in Russia and across the Eastern Bloc.

Even though our units were really small--a family of three typically had 500-600 sq.ft. (and often as little as 400!), most if not all of our apartments had windows in the kitchen. You can see what this looks like in this video.

Last edited:
I’m not sure of how the Eastern Bloc stuff works from a zoning or land use perspective, but in that vein, Hong Kong does mandate at least one window in all rooms. You end up with some wild plan permutations!

A9272D80-E7B6-46C3-A5DD-BCCC793DE4E2.jpeg
F00935A7-FBC4-4C52-A480-E9080DD3BC34.gif

A41DF9D4-AE65-4DC6-BEAA-A2D04EF7C781.jpeg

6BDBA72C-0910-4657-B977-14C0FE8241D6.gif

Eastern bloc buildings are typically quite narrow (12-14m wide) slab form buildings, so units are very shallow, allowing for lots of windows. Most units have each room more or less side by side in a linear fashion.

Toronto's planning regulations encourage deep units which require more windowless rooms internal to the building. Most planners are completely oblivious to this fact of course.

Code requirements also make the types of floorplans that @ProjectEnd posted impossible in Ontario as well - window facing distances are too small on a lot of those.

If you pay close attention, certain developers have figured this out and try to build towers that are closer to 20x35m instead of the "square" floorplate of 27.5x27.5m. This creates much more livable and higher quality units as units aren't as deep.. but it's usually a fight to get them approved at the city as the city thinks that they create too great of a shadow impact in most cases.

Lamb does basically the opposite though - creating super deep units to maximize GFA. His sales specialize in investor buyers though, which tend to prefer smaller (cheaper) units and which can demand a higher $psf rent than larger units, creating greater returns. So Lamb builds lots of small, narrow units that are typically studios or 1 beds.

Last edited:
That affirmation on the billboard lol
I'd be more more succinct about that: "I'll leave U to U'r ignorance". Plus that would take up far less sign surface real estate.

They should change the name to Bowling Alley West, at least so it somewhat matches the identity of the building.

Last edited:

Back