Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was just minding my own business............scanning the lobbying registry while up in the middle of the night...............

When I came across this:

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

61-75 Brownlow Avenue

Lobbyist's Name

Jessica Smuskowitz

The client is: Menkes Developments Ltd.

Interestingly, we've been discussing this very site in another thread.............

1626161265761.png

The aerial photo below, where Is show the site outlined in white indicates it is directly behind a new Bazis application on Mt. Pleasant, south of Eglinton, and directly south of Eglinton Public School!

1626161450960.png

Good sized site.

But so much more potential if it integrated with the School site and the Bazis site and the Dollarama.

And........the Application is in to the AIC. *No Docs Yet *

*Mods* We have a storey count, as per the below of 35s for this site.

View attachment 344066

Here's a tip. If the thread was started by you, then you'll have an ability to modify the thread title even though you're not a mod.

Near the top of the page, beside the "Watch" (thread) button, there is the "..." button which is for more options. From the 2 options that drop down, select "Edit thread" which will allow you to change the title to whatever needs to be modified.

Here's a tip. If the thread was started by you, then you'll have an ability to modify the thread title even though you're not a mod.

Near the top of the page, beside the "Watch" (thread) button, there is the "..." button which is for more options. From the 2 options that drop down, select "Edit thread" which will allow you to change the title to whatever needs to be modified.

Ty, all this time here, you'd think I might have noticed! LOL

Title is fixed.

Now the title is fixed. We use the old titling order until a database file is created… as a quick reference to show which threads don't have database files yet.

Now the title is fixed. We use the old titling order until a database file is created… as a quick reference to show which threads don't have database files yet.

Ahh, I didn't realize that.

Usually I roll my eyes about shadowing concerns in the city, but here I think it is worth bringing up.

During morning recess:

View attachment 347526

Lunch time:

View attachment 347527

Afternoon recess:

View attachment 347528

Just after school:

View attachment 347531

I am trying to encourage all the developers here to talk, and to talk with the TDSB about a landswap in everyone's interest.

Not sure what uptake will come of it, if any.

Ideally it would involve the Dollar Store site as well.

The school should shift to the south, and the various proposals should front Eglinton instead.

With the towers all to the north, there would be no shade on the school grounds, and being on Eglinton they would have claim to much greater height.

The school yard is a smidge small for the size of school and the building itself is at or very close to capacity.

So a swap here is the ultimate win-win.

Developers get more height, better address

TDSB gets new building, new capacity, less shade, larger yard, all at the developer's expense.

Last edited:
Good lord.....it blows my mind to think that those townhomes would be gone. The only reason why is because well...a 30+ floor tower directly south of a schoolyard is inane. Considering the school is only 20-21 years old and already at capacity (not that they would've realized that at the time of designing the new school), I'm curious what the board is mulling over....they'll probably want to think of doubling capacity to be accounting for future growth.

Good lord.....it blows my mind to think that those townhomes would be gone. The only reason why is because well...a 30+ floor tower directly south of a schoolyard is inane. Considering the school is only 20-21 years old and already at capacity (not that they would've realized that at the time of designing the new school), I'm curious what the board is mulling over....they'll probably want to think of doubling capacity to be accounting for future growth.

The arrangement here would make no sense, which is why I'm advocating for something different; but it's up to all of the players make that happen.

The TDSB does tend to under-estimate future demand, but that's also partly imposed by the provincial process for capital grants.
Also this is not a small elementary school, it's in the 700+ enrollment area already.

Other nearby schools are less than 1/2 that; but to be fair to the TDSB, heritage buildings and small sites are factors in those cases.

The arrangement here would make no sense, which is why I'm advocating for something different; but it's up to all of the players make that happen.

The TDSB does tend to under-estimate future demand, but that's also party imposed by the provincial process for capital grants.

Also this is not a small elementary school, it's in the 700+ enrollment area already.

Other nearby schools are less than 1/2 that; but to be fair to the TDSB, heritage buildings and small sites are factors in those cases.

Oh I'm aware this is no small school. I attended it shortly after it was rebuilt....the retention of some heritage features is impressive and should be retained in consideration of further talks beween parties regardign the future of this site and adjoining property. A swapping of property would be ideal, even though it does bring its own complications. How nearby schools will be expanded also piques my interest, considering the age of schools such as John Fisher, Maurice Cody and Northern.....etc. (along with their sitings)

Hopefully a future expansion of the school is more future proofed.

Quadreal and Menkes have acquired 55 Brownlow Ave, which is the existing 15 storey "Royalwood Apartments" building to the south of this site.

At this time, there doesn't appear to be hints of large scaled redevelopment of it. The article mentions more about fixing up the entire building and updating and modernizing the lobby.

Back