Here's what's there now, from Google Street View:

1IsabellaGSV.jpg

It's interesting that this is one of the earliest locations of Canadian Tire... because I'd heard rumours that they were talking to YI's principal Rick Rabba (President of Rabba Fine Foods) about a $take in this development.

Apparently nothing materialized when CT's offer was refused. Story here.

Fake News Network

This one is the subject of an Appeal Report (formerly Request for Direction Report) to the next meeting of TEYCC:

From the above:

1673882874368.png

1673882902117.png

Comments: I had this to say back when we first saw the renders:

My thoughts on the above........

Too much going on on the tower.......3 major colours/treatments.

Yonge Street frontage just doesn't vibe for me w/the surround retail aesthetic.

It would appear staff and I are in agreement on this point. So I can't quibble. They are moving to save the heritage at 625 and preclude its demolition (or at least that of its facade).

The height I'm not phased about, but looking at where the City is going on this one (in respect of heritage/streetscape), I expect it will require major revisions. I think the City can defend its take at the OLT if they don't get any movement.

There are so many proposed projects along the downtown stretch of Yonge Street these days that I had completely forgotten about this one and had to reread much of the thread when it was bumped...

I tend to agree that the streetscape could be improved, so hopefully that can be worked out through the appeal process, and otherwise the proposed tower is underwhelming but acceptable.

There are so many proposed projects along the downtown stretch of Yonge Street these days that I had completely forgotten about this one and had to reread much of the thread when it was bumped...

I tend to agree that the streetscape could be improved, so hopefully that can be worked out through the appeal process, and otherwise the proposed tower is underwhelming but acceptable.

Saving the facade at 625 is key to me; not so much because it's brilliant, but because it 'fits' well on the street, where the proposed podium feels .....well, wrong.

Merit Hearing at OLT is scheduled for August 12th, 2024.

The heritage by-law for 625 is being separately appealed, no dates yet.

1700506360000.png

Saving the facade at 625 is key to me; not so much because it's brilliant, but because it 'fits' well on the street, where the proposed podium feels .....well, wrong.
Ultimately what replaces it needs to be far better than what was there before. Hence the overreactive heritage preservation laws once our developers proved incapable of reliably doing so.

I mean, what's stopping them from proposing something like this?

Last edited:
Any height change? I counted around 70 floors on those renders. Should be significantly taller now...

Last edited:
Overall I'm not crazy about the redesigned renders ... but the proposed crown does seem intriguing.

View attachment 542118View attachment 542119View attachment 542120View attachment 542121View attachment 542122

You know, LOL, you could tell us all what actually changed..........

But since you didn't, I will............

And thanks for the heads up {seriously) LOL

From the Cover Letter:

1708492840862.png

Not super informative and no new Planning Report/Letter/Addendum. Hmmm

Units now number 803

Resident Parking: 87 (plus visitors)

Height: 70 storeys + MPH (72 inclusive of MPH)

Revised Ground Floor Plan:

1708493179597.png

Most of the renders are adequately represented above, but this one seems apt for a bit of enlargement:

1708493351231.png

@DavidCapizzano is entirely on point here.

The heritage retention............or replication..........is a drastic improvement of the podium.........though the modern portion of the podium is regrettable..............but the tower..........well....19 Duncan she ain't.

@Paclo is flagged........... warning, this one may require some digging.

Last edited:

Back