I think the ground level detailing is allright, but I would have liked the podium be a little beefier and continue the roofline of 617 Yonge next door all the way to the Isabella corner.

The red brick is excellent and would like to see it continue up.

When calling for this to be simplified, I say be careful what you wish for. Then the complaint will be "another boring box." I would simplify it lightly. Otherwise, I like it. But I'll miss Cosmetic World 😭

Toronto Model 11-16-21 637 Yonge.png

When calling for this to be simplified, I say be careful what you wish for. Then the complaint will be "another boring box." I would simplify it lightly. Otherwise, I like it. But I'll miss Cosmetic World 😭
It looks already a boring box that in this case desperately trying not to be...

I have to ask, becasue I've noticed this on a few occasions now. This building does honestly bear a lot of similarities to Gloucester which is right next door. It's nice massing but why put two buildings with similar massing and design side by side. The same thing is happening with 8 wellsley, which borrows similarities from next door with the buildings extending outwards from the base, to a point and then narrowing again. Also see it with the proposal right next to PJ condos which has a similar proposed overhang at the base.

I know beggars can't be choosers but why put all the buildings with similar unique massing side by side instead of spreading them out? Surely this can't be a coincidence.

It's not up to us, we don't make the decisions on such things. I imagine they look to create and situate a building so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb - so you naturally reference what's around you - whether that's arrived at by conscious decision or otherwise.

Besides, the way this city evolves is not up to some kind of authoritarian central planning committee, after all. It's way more haphazard and chaotic than that - thankfully! Even though planning has its merits, I prefer to have as much organic growth as possible.

I have to ask, becasue I've noticed this on a few occasions now. This building does honestly bear a lot of similarities to Gloucester which is right next door. It's nice massing but why put two buildings with similar massing and design side by side. The same thing is happening with 8 wellsley, which borrows similarities from next door with the buildings extending outwards from the base, to a point and then narrowing again. Also see it with the proposal right next to PJ condos which has a similar proposed overhang at the base.

I know beggars can't be choosers but why put all the buildings with similar unique massing side by side instead of spreading them out? Surely this can't be a coincidence.
There is a 70 degree plane requirement on Yonge St here, so the buildings will look similar in massing. Also this will be next to The Ivy, a rental building at 8 Gloucester.

Koops has this tower in black and white mode with out some red in bedded in it in the photo up above . And it looks not too busy and worth a flyby when ever possible. Thank ! !

@greenleaf is correct. Essentially, every developer tries to cram in as much density as they can on every property in the whole city, and because there's a unique angular plane along Yonge, the buildings are all designed to step back from it as they rise.

Too cold and austere. The single double height ceiling retail looks brutal.

And why must there always be a gap-toothed level between the podium and tower? The podium is so short and underwhelming.

Last edited:
I find this massing and cladding composition a lot more interesting than the copious green glass towers that dominate the skyline. Not a one-liner like most. Love it!

Back