PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
630 FINCH AVE E
Ward 17 - North York District

Zoning Bylaw Amendment application to permit the proposal for a 12 storey mixed use building that would contain 206 dwelling units, 897 sqm of non residential gross floor area and 311 proposed parking spaces within a proposed three level underground garage.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Rezoning​
20 188104 NNY 17 OZ​
Sep 1, 2020​
Application Received​

Currently the site of a garage:

1599154981995.png

Tridel / Bazis + Rosario Varacalli + Kirkor Architects + Planners: 12 storeys

View attachment 268848

View attachment 268850

I don't mind this at all.

It's interesting.

Especially for the location.

But I do mind: 206 dwelling units,....and 311 proposed parking spaces

Finch East has very frequent transit. Line 1 isn't that far away.

I realize this is midway btw Bayview and Leslie so there's isn't a good N-S transit route handy; and there's a lack of supermarkets nearby, so parking is to be expected at this location.

But I would still like to see it at less than 1.4 spaces per unit.

Additional Thought:

As I have crudely drawn below, I think there is a need to establish a connection between the subdivsion at the rear of this site and Finch.

It need not be a road connection; merely one for pedestrians/transit riders.

A connection here would greatly shorten walking distance to transit for many.

Also, I circled the 2 TTC stops to note that there is currently no provision for a safe crossing at this location.

1599775974345.png

This image shows the transit stops at grade. Note a 5-lane crossing with no light or PXO.

1599776085989.png

I'm very, very skeptical that this will ever come to fruition as currently rendered to say the least.

I'm very, very skeptical that this will ever come to fruition as currently rendered to say the least.

Seriously, expect a full value-engineered rogering for this one, particularly given the no-name location.

Not only will this not turn out as depicted above, it removes 15-20 commercial units from the neighbourhood (offices, retail, medical, auto garage, etc.). 'Mixed use' indeed...

I do mind: 206 dwelling units,....and 311 proposed parking spaces
29 of the spaces are for retail at least.
Not only will this not turn out as depicted above, it removes 15-20 commercial units from the neighbourhood (offices, retail, medical, auto garage, etc.). 'Mixed use' indeed...
There will still be over 9,000 sq ft or retail across 5 entrances, one of which they are suggesting as a dentist's office, the other as the TD branch. At least they are proposing that. I wonder what a reworking of the plans could do to find another few thousand square feet for retail. Do they need so many parking spaces for residents? If not, could they not move the residential visitor parking down a level and free up more space for retail?

The number of parking spaces for residents indicated, however, as does the way-outside-the-box architectural plan for this building, that they are looking at luxury all the way here. They are no doubt looking for downsizers from the surrounding well off neighbourhoods to fill this building, offering the residents views of the East Don Valley parklands to the south. This is not a no-name location: this is a forever-views location, and they will milk that for every penny. I am, therefore, not as cynical about the chances here to end up with something reasonably close to what's depicted.

Additional Thought:

As I have crudely drawn below, I think there is a need to establish a connection between the subdivsion at the rear of this site and Finch.

It need not be a road connection; merely one for pedestrians/transit riders.

A connection here would greatly shorten walking distance to transit for many.

Also, I circled the 2 TTC stops to note that there is currently no provision for a safe crossing at this location.

View attachment 268853

This image shows the transit stops at grade. Note a 5-lane crossing with no light or PXO.

View attachment 268854
Isn't there a mid block connection marked on the north side of the proposal as you suggested? I can't make out where it comes out--maybe next to the parking ramp?

Isn't there a mid block connection marked on the north side of the proposal as you suggested? I can't make out where it comes out--maybe next to the parking ramp?

Yes there is. It’s a set of stairs, as Banstock is significantly higher than ground level here.
This is an old plaza, but the parking lot can really fill up at times. Interesting the renders showed TD coming back. I don’t know if that will come into fruition.

Residents of a North York neighbourhood are voicing their concerns over a proposed condo development they say will dwarf their homes.

“The height impact will be hugely significant on shadowing. It’s like a David and Goliath story,” Michael Lancefield said of the 12-storey – plus “mechanical penthouse” – condo being proposed at 630 to 686 Finch Ave. E. (east of Bayview Avenue) in the Bayview Woods community. “It’s going to be like standing next to the world’s biggest cruise ship. You’ll look dwarfed and so will the homes, and it’s going to significantly impact property values.”

The site, which currently has a two-storey plaza along with a one-storey auto repair garage, backs onto Banstock Drive, a residential street, where Lancefield has lived most of his life.

Lancefield said the proposed condo will be “right against” his property line, resulting in a complete loss of privacy. “Everything I do will be monitored by people overlooking me: when I leave, habits, backyard entertaining.”

Lancefield said he first learned about the proposal on Thanksgiving weekend when a public notice appeared on the site. Since then, he and a handful of his neighbours formed a committee that hand delivered flyers to the neighbourhood to get the word out about the proposal. They have expanded their group to nearly 100 people who communicate mainly via email, said Lancefield, noting the group has also held a virtual meeting to discuss concerns.

The project’s developers, Tridel and BAZIS, also hosted two virtual open houses for the community in November. A community consultation meeting will be held by city planners and the local councillor, Shelley Carroll (Ward 17, Don Valley North), in early 2021, likely in mid-to-late January.

So Michael Lancefield's lot borders a surface parking lot and backs onto a major arterial road in the fastest growing major City in North America... and yet he's shocked to learn the property next door will be developed.

..mmkay.

Back