To have a 3xn designed midrise at this location would be so... satisfying. It just feels *right*.

Exactly. It comes with the territory. However, Toronto's speculative real estate boom has expanded well beyond just local hacks.

Even if you're not going to use an international name, it is still disappointing how many new proposals go to the worst offenders. Unfortunately, they're also the ones who have worked out the most streamlined (and therefore cost-efficient) process.

I think it's also a case of a less inclined developer being more likely to pick a firm and just stick with it until it is no more. Lamb generally sticks to aA and Core and what would aA with Context at the beginning of the boom. They still pales in comparison to Canderel/G+C, Conservatory/ Richmond, Pemberton/ Burka, etc.

689 King St. W. has been having trouble finding tenants for their ambitious 3-storey retail/restaurant development (looks like it has been cancelled). It along with the 3-storey commercial building next door (675-679 King St. W.) would be a great site to include with this property to either wrap around or even include the Wheat Sheaf building into this 3XN-designed development.

Here's the thread for 689 King St. W.:
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...urst-redevelopment-site-for-sale.20057/page-2

Public consult notice from Layton's newsletter:

Pre-application Public Consultation Meeting: 64-86 Bathurst Street
Hines Canada is holding their second of three public consultation meetings to discuss the future of 64-86 Bathurst Street.

This consultation process, led by Hines Canada, is in advance of and in addition to the mandated Planning Act and the City of Toronto led process for development applications.

Two public sessions are scheduled on Tuesday, February 27:

4:00 – 6:00 pm or 6:30 – 8:30 pm
477 Richmond Street West, Suite 104, Toronto, M5V 3E7 (map)
(Direct access to suite from Richmond Street West, two doors east of the main building entrance)

For more information, please contact: 64to86.bathurst@hines.com.

Public consult notice from Layton's newsletter:

Pre-application Public Consultation Meeting: 64-86 Bathurst Street
Hines Canada is holding their second of three public consultation meetings to discuss the future of 64-86 Bathurst Street.

This consultation process, led by Hines Canada, is in advance of and in addition to the mandated Planning Act and the City of Toronto led process for development applications.

Two public sessions are scheduled on Tuesday, February 27:

4:00 – 6:00 pm or 6:30 – 8:30 pm
477 Richmond Street West, Suite 104, Toronto, M5V 3E7 (map)
(Direct access to suite from Richmond Street West, two doors east of the main building entrance)

For more information, please contact: 64to86.bathurst@hines.com.

Anyone attend this?

Anyone attend this?

A couple of us did, yep. No designs presented because they don't yet exist; this was a visioning session that felt much more real than similar attempts I've seen. A 3XN partner walked through his preliminary thinking on design, focused mostly on exploring different massing concepts, and a Hines rep sketched the higher level thinking for the project. They'll come back with preliminary designs at a final pre-application meeting in April.

Some details:
- At this point, Hines is thinking this will be retail wrapped around the entire base, a couple floors of office on top, and then rental residential for the rest.
- They're committed to having a mid-block connection between Bathurst and the laneway behind the townhouses immediately to the west of the site, and to not insignificant setbacks away from that laneway
- They were cagey about height, to the extent that it makes me think they're thinking about something closer to high-rise than mid-rise; I would think they'll be asking for somewhere between 15 and 20, though most of the massing studies they presented showed a slab-style built form with a height peak towards the northeast end of the site.
- A number of their massing concepts include accessible green roofs with some sort of stepping, and they seem open to exploring ideas around making part of those green roofs publicly accessible.
- I had a good chat with the Hines rep about what they're looking to do here and thanked him for hiring 3XN (I mentioned Menkes in a pejorative sense and he got a good kick out of that); he pointed out that Hines has a pretty good track record of paying up for solid design and assured me that they wouldn't be paying a premium for 3XN only to neuter their creativity through cheaping out on materiality or built form.

Last edited:
We will know soon:)

64 BATHURST ST
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type
Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 18 176812 STE 19 OZ Jun 12, 2018 Application Received

Looks weak to me; There's nothing really going on to effectively break down the mass of the building in an impressionable way. And at the same time, in a very contradictory way, the streetwall is weakened by that dinky "podium" it's sitting on. That said, other than Aqualuna, I'm not really moved by much of 3XN's work.

I like it quite a bit from the 2nd story on up. It feels like there is poor articulation between retail units on the ground level for pedestrians. It seems they could have added the white and gold balcony separations at ground level too (Maybe the units are quite shallow and this is unnecessary?).

I like it--the colors are soft and bright and it has nice rooftop setbacks. The success of the podium really depends on what kind of retail ends up there. I'd like to add that if a large asteroid struck somewhere near Toronto, this is one of the buildings I'd like to remain standing.

Back