Hahaha Ive heard it all, nothing is good enough for you:eek:

Seriously? I think I have proven myself time and time again to defend design in Toronto. That doesn't mean I can't be critical of it.The cladding is the exception here and not the design. Cladding simply enhances or diminishes the design concept. To that end, unfortunately, there are very few places with so many glass facades where SSG curtainwall stands out as an exception. I can only think of Vancouver.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 3.18.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 3.18.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 3.18.02 PM.png
    156 KB · Views: 2,078
Quite an interesting presentation at the public consultation and the developer announced they were talking to King Edward Hotel folk about an link under Leader Lane so King Eddie could have some parking. They propose to open the laneway from Church to Leader and problem there is it is not wide and Leader Lane itself is narrow. It would be shared with 60 Colborne.

The crowd was small but was generally amazed at a representative of Albany Club who opposed the whole plan as it "did not respect the heritage". As the Albany Club had recently proposed a 47 floor building on whole block there was general amazement at this reasoning. In answer to a citizen question the Club person said they had always wanted to protect the heritage but did not explain how 47 floor would have achieved that.

I think their real problem is that if this building goes ahead the possibility of any development of rest of the block are much reduced as Rodega Lane - between Church and Leader really could not cope with a 3rd building.

Love love love the render of a pedestrianized Colborne Street- the buildings on the south side of the street are some of the best heritage facades in the city. It'll do a lot to connect St. Lawrence to the Financial District. 65-75 King does a decent job of relating to the surrounding streetwall.

I'm super jealous of anyone who has purchased a unit in 60 Colborne.

The tower, whatever, it's ok- but those plans for Leader Lane and Colborne are very promising, and I hope they are realized as such. That plan really ties together those beautiful buildings on Colborne, as well as the orphan that is the Tom Jones Steakhouse building (not sure of its proper/original name). The use of sandstone is an exciting prospect too, hopefully one that isn't lost throughout the development process. It's rarely used nowadays and is a beautiful stone that pays tribute to 19th and early 20th century Toronto materiality.

Back