Wait, you guys don't want to see block upon block of glass boxes? You want character? Go to Distillery District. :D

Can't think of a city this eager to replace whatever character it has left for cheap, investor driven, crap.

and yet, I'd advise everyone to put some tarp down.

From a friend of UT who made it to the event tonight:

665KingWSE906.jpg

665KingWNE960.jpg

Attachments

• 665KingWNE960.jpg
    665KingWNE960.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 1,401
  • 665KingWSE906.jpg
    665KingWSE906.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 1,403
I can't tell from the rendering but is anything more than a small part of the face of the current building (the part directly on King) saved? I'm sure the facade on Bathurst could be nice with modern brick but ehhhh.

I dont think they saved the face at all, but just recreated it. Design is above average but the building needs to be better preserved.

Would prefer more of the original to remain.

Don't have a tremendous amount of faith in Diamond Schmitt's residential projects, especially seeing how University Place and The High Park turned out.

I agree with jje100 that more of the original should remain. I do like the upper section though. The upper part looks as though it could be on Miami beach.

King West being stripped of its character.

Even something as 'warehousey' as The Hoxton really gives this neighborhood its vibe.

Just awful from the rebuilt or incorporated facade to the bland "big box" base to the oppressively massed tower with a kitschy deconstructionism theme. We haven't seen a hatchet job like this in a long time.

Surprised to see all the positive comments. Are we looking at the same renderings? Because to me it looks like its already undergone the inevitable cheapening that most buildings undergo further along in the process, meaning that it is likely to get even worse. Very few, if any redeeming qualities in this heap if you ask me. I pray this does not get built.

Back