Looks like it could also be parking lot shut down by the city as they do not have a hard surface, lines, lighting etc.
Cost justification between compliance and monthly revenue...
Manga continuing their aggressive downtown expansion. Hyatt Place on Jarvis, 184 Spadina, projects on both Richmond and Camden, and now this.
The deluge of hotel proposals in the last 12-18 months is pretty incredible; I think a roundup of all of the hotels under construction or in the planning process would make for a good front page article.
I did a run through of active developments with hotel components in downtown/generally accepted urban areas. May have missed some though.
- Thompson Hotel closed and being replaced by 1 Hotels at 550 Wellington W
- Ace Hotel at 51 Camden
- 445 Adelaide W
- Nobu at 15 Mercer
- Primus Hotel at King Blue
- Manga at Hyatt Place on Jarvis, 471 Richmond W, 38 Camden, 184 Spadina, and now 689 King W
- Riu Hotel (Theatre District Res.) at 8 Widmer
- 19 Duncan
- W Hotel at 2 Bloor E
- Andaz Hotel at The One
- Canopy by Hilton (Gupta) at The Rosedale on Bloor
- Gupta at 60 Mill
- Parkdale Hotel redevelopement at 1296-1314 Queen St W
- Sonder Hotel at 197 King E (Nealon House) ?
- Drake Hotel expansion
- Grand Hotel redevelopment at 225 Jarvis
- Park Hyatt on Bloor renovation
I wouldn't call that one serious.