Looks like it could also be parking lot shut down by the city as they do not have a hard surface, lines, lighting etc.

Cost justification between compliance and monthly revenue...

Possible but as they're literally years away from building anything, you'd think they want to have at least some revenue coming in.

Pics taken May 6, 2019

fullsizeoutput_24f6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_24f7.jpeg

Work in the laneway and parking lot today. Looks like it’s just to bring in new servicing for a medical / dental office going in the ground floor adjacent:

D67E8AA5-655D-4C59-9B46-C4C2D7F0EE5C.jpeg
22542D41-8702-4B95-A6CA-EB87524F1933.jpeg

Manga continuing their aggressive downtown expansion. Hyatt Place on Jarvis, 184 Spadina, projects on both Richmond and Camden, and now this.

The deluge of hotel proposals in the last 12-18 months is pretty incredible; I think a roundup of all of the hotels under construction or in the planning process would make for a good front page article.

The deluge of hotel proposals in the last 12-18 months is pretty incredible; I think a roundup of all of the hotels under construction or in the planning process would make for a good front page article.

I did a run through of active developments with hotel components in downtown/generally accepted urban areas. May have missed some though.
  • Thompson Hotel closed and being replaced by 1 Hotels at 550 Wellington W
  • Ace Hotel at 51 Camden
  • 445 Adelaide W
  • Nobu at 15 Mercer
  • Primus Hotel at King Blue
  • Manga at Hyatt Place on Jarvis, 471 Richmond W, 38 Camden, 184 Spadina, and now 689 King W
  • Riu Hotel (Theatre District Res.) at 8 Widmer
  • 19 Duncan
  • W Hotel at 2 Bloor E
  • Andaz Hotel at The One
  • Canopy by Hilton (Gupta) at The Rosedale on Bloor
  • Gupta at 60 Mill
  • Parkdale Hotel redevelopement at 1296-1314 Queen St W
  • Sonder Hotel at 197 King E (Nealon House) ?
  • Drake Hotel expansion
  • Grand Hotel redevelopment at 225 Jarvis
  • Park Hyatt on Bloor renovation

Last edited:
I did a run through of active developments with hotel components in downtown/generally accepted urban areas. May have missed some though.
  • Thompson Hotel closed and being replaced by 1 Hotels at 550 Wellington W
  • Ace Hotel at 51 Camden
  • 445 Adelaide W
  • Nobu at 15 Mercer
  • Primus Hotel at King Blue
  • Manga at Hyatt Place on Jarvis, 471 Richmond W, 38 Camden, 184 Spadina, and now 689 King W
  • Riu Hotel (Theatre District Res.) at 8 Widmer
  • 19 Duncan
  • W Hotel at 2 Bloor E
  • Andaz Hotel at The One
  • Canopy by Hilton (Gupta) at The Rosedale on Bloor
  • Gupta at 60 Mill
  • Parkdale Hotel redevelopement at 1296-1314 Queen St W
  • Sonder Hotel at 197 King E (Nealon House) ?
  • Drake Hotel expansion
  • Grand Hotel redevelopment at 225 Jarvis
  • Park Hyatt on Bloor renovation

Impressive recall! The only omissions I can think of (though a couple are likely a bit further off):
  • Hotel brand TBD at Mirvish-Gehry
  • Hotel replacement of the Delta Chelsea as part of the Chelsea Green dev
  • Hotel brand TBD at the Christie's site
  • Hotel brand TBD at One Front
  • Downtown Hilton renovation (scale/scope TBD, so maybe it doesn't belong on this list)
All's to say, we're looking at 20+ new hotels in the works downtown; remarkable.

19 Duncan has a hotel component?
There is also this small 38-room hotel being proposed in North York at 290 Sheppard West
I wouldn't call that one serious.

There is also the hotel in 411 King W, and the unspecified hotel use at Kings Club in Liberty Village that fits Sonder's business model perfectly.. (a few floors of residential units were applied to convert to hotel use)

Back