Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
According to the lobbyist registry, the owners of this site are exploring redevelopment options.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32402​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Proposed development application at 69 Yorkville Ave.

Its a bit of a tight squeeze, given the need for separation distances with the condo fronting Bay Street.

Streetview:

1633613011808.png

Aerial:

1633613314718.png

Site size is ~8000ft2

At height, a 25M separation distance would be 1/2 way across the property.

If they keep it shorter, there might be something there........

They've been trying to flog this one for years. No one has taken the bait. It's not a good site, and the existing building is a beautiful piece of history.

Thanks for the info.

As to your characterization of the property's appearance..........I don't think I can get to 'beautiful'.

This is what happens when you have basicly transform the whole downtown area etc. Practicaly every old building must go to create new ones!
Since most of the buildings that have been the replacements have been subpar to mediocre in this area IMO, I think we should have kept the old and build upon that instead. /shrug

ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment Applicaiton to facilitate the redevelopment of the site for a 29-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 1441.0 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 14189.0 square metres. A total of 143 residential dwelling units are proposed.

A nice zagged unique elegant building with plant life on the balconies for the Yorkville area! Well worth the replacement of what is over there at this moment ! As seen in the photos up above.

Yorkville's attraction is in being one of Toronto's only fine-grained pedestrian-friendly shopping districts. The street level design looks like a total afterthought to the design of the tower (i.e. large-format glass, cast in permanent shadow, with no signage or character).

Also, what's going on on the west elevation? 29 storeys of grey metal panels towering over Belair & Yorkville Streets?

And to nit-pick a little more, the top of the would be sexy (north) elevation looks sloppily unresolved to me...

Jet design has loads of fancy renders on their site but not a single one has been built. This seems like fiction to me.

What I was wondering about was separation distances...........took me a bit........but I found'em:

1637015713573.png

That 8.4M is going to be a very tough sell and will garner a lot of heat from the residents in the building to the east.

Last edited:

Back