Currently on site is an outdoor garden centre along Caledonia, between Davenport and St. Clair W. Just to the north of it are a block of recently completed townhomes, while on the east side of the street is the edge of Earlscourt Park.

caled.JPG

There are so many self-storage sites under development. They should have a TLC Hoarders self-storage edition. For most of these people it is time for them to sell their stuff if they use it so rarely it is locked in a self-storage locker.

There are so many self-storage sites under development. They should have a TLC Hoarders self-storage edition. For most of these people it is time for them to sell their stuff if they use it so rarely it is locked in a self-storage locker.
Not that I completely disagree with you, but developers in this city are to blame as well. They've been hacking up storage space to the point that there's basically little to no in-suite storage available, and storage in condos/rental buildings in new builds is basically non existent.

Self storage is booming because of smaller living spaces, and a lack of storage lockers available in condos.

People need spaces to put sports equipment, seasonal decor, hobby materials, sentimental items, etc.

It’s hard to live in a 450sf condo with minimal storage for stuff. You don’t need to be a hoarder to need more storage space than a tiny front closet and the space around your washer / dryer.

Self storage is booming because of smaller living spaces, and a lack of storage lockers available in condos.

People need spaces to put sports equipment, seasonal decor, hobby materials, sentimental items, etc.

It’s hard to live in a 450sf condo with minimal storage for stuff. You don’t need to be a hoarder to need more storage space than a tiny front closet and the space around your washer / dryer.
Makes sense that self storage is needed - this was not at all my point. My point was that the location is totally wrong - High concentration of self-storage units in one area that doesn't have many condos doesn't make sense. It creates traffic because people have to travel to these storage areas. It destroys the appeal of the neighbourhood and its future appeal for development. It destroys the appeal of the park, which is a shared public space that thousands use. Developers should incorporate storage into their development to provide a full solution to human living needs - self storage units should be close to condos and incorpororated properly from a visual perspective. Otherwise it just increases the traffic problem and makes it less convenient for residents. It destroys the appeal of the area when you have numerous storage buildings in a small vicinity. I believe this proposed site is also to be adjacent to a the green line linear park proposed in the future that will run along the hydroelectric corridor. This storage unit is also right across Eearlscourt park, which is a completely wrong place for an unappealing storage building. You don't see this at high park for example, or any other park that i have seen in the city.

Back