ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
700 UNIVERSITY AVE
Ward 11 - Tor & E.York District

Development Applications

Proposal for a 4-storey addition above the existing 19-storey office tower, and a 61-storey rental residential tower. The proposal consists of a total of 170,095 square metres of gross floor area, including 111,322 square metres of office space, 17,364 square metres of retail space and 531 new purpose built rental units, resulting in an overall proposed density of 17.38 FSI.

This is the site of the Ontario Power Building, which is home to the Ontario Power Generation's head offices.

1597730355144.png

Last edited:
A 4 storey addition on top of it? I'd really rather they not do that. I love this building and its courtyard. I assume they want to build the residential where the courtyard is, so that is a no for me too!
Could this property use some sprucing up? Yes, for sure! But I don't want to see it change.

If they're going to add the four floors on top . I hope it's seamless looking the same as the bottom. But where are they going building the 61 storey condo behind the office tower ?

There is a space at the rear of the building where something is plausible:

Note that I measured out the principle block, and you can see the area calculation as well.

There are actually 2 additional contiguous spaces to this one, though they are irregular in shape and small.

1597749968228.png

Looking the proposal stats above, a 61-storey building's floor plate would require less than 1/2 this space outlined above.

The retail at ~170,000 is very large and suggests a supermarket or other large store, unless they intend on building a mini-mall on the foot print.

If you omitted the court yard, it would mean retail across 2-full levels on the entire built footprint.

Given the need to loading, and the lobby; I'm wagering the sunken portion of the court yard would be part of the retail.

But that would remain open space above, I would think.

Last edited:
OPG is indeed moving out to Clarington next to the Darlington Energy Complex. I don't disagree with the move, Durham badly needs some new employment, especially with GM shutting down. They probably could have picked a better location for the new office than off a 401 interchange with no access to transit, perhaps maybe Downtown Oshawa instead..

I think the tower being behind the building is a good bet.

I'm wary of this whole thing in general. this building should have a heritage designation IMO.

Outside of the DEC (Darlington Energy Complex), OPG also leases space in the new-ish office building just off the 401 in Pickering (the one that's connected to the GO Station by Teeple's bridge).

What % of the building is still even leased by OPG ? From what I Recall there are actually several other tenants now ?

That's a nice looking office building. It's ok if they want to build a residential on the that lot but why mess with a nice looking office building.

Hospital row should have first dibs on this - instead of yet another ill-fitted condo.

AoD

Given that most of us like the existing building here, and that PMH is already a significant tenant.....

Seeing PMH grab the whole site; and potentially build in back, but to a height not exceeding the existing tower would work really well.

Admin could move entirely to the existing building.

Research could be the focus of a new build.

Existing PMH could pick up much needed new clinical space.

Back