I'm not too worried. This looks like an exercise for the fund to increase the market value. I doubt they are too serious in building it.
The addition maybe, though I would not be surprised to see the apartment proposal proceed in some form. The location is attractive.

edit: On second thought, I wonder if the development application description is misleading and that the 4 storey addition is actually at ground-level on the courtyard space, in a mini-mall style addition as Northern Light speculated last page.

Can't wait to see the rendering of the 61 storey tower and how it's going to blend in with office tower ! The addition will either make or break the esthetics of this office tower !

I don't want to say who but I heard a different firm than Quadrangle. Anyway we'll know when the docs. are posted.

Last edited:
edit: On second thought, I wonder if the development application description is misleading and that the 4 storey addition is actually at ground-level on the courtyard space, in a mini-mall style addition as Northern Light speculated last page.

I can't imagine that ending well - without absolutely wrecking the negative space.

AoD

I can't imagine that ending well - without absolutely wrecking the negative space.

AoD

The proposed retail is 17000m2 and change or 170,000 ft2

So, I initially looked at the idea of only putting retail into the court yard, but assumed the public space would be maintained at street level.

But the number came back way too low.

So for curiosity's sake.......I measured the potential floorplate if you filled every square meter on the site.

You get about 8000m2.

That means this proposal envisions retail at 2 levels more or less on the entire site.

Alternatively, to occupy less area, at any one level, you need more floors.

I must admit, this is sounding rather atrocious even as I type it......

Perhaps, I'm completely wrong...........let's hope, shall we?

Last edited:
How can just 4 floors add more than a million sq. ft. of office space? Is the floor plate 300,000 sq. ft. in size?

How can just 4 floors add more than a million sq. ft. of office space? Is the floor plate 300,000 sq. ft. in size?
I think the original reference said a "total" of... (although it references the "proposal"...) then mentions an overall final FSR.
So that figure might include the existing building, unless there's a typo.

Okay, it's story and picture time!

The front page story is here, while the database file now attached at the top of the page has more images.

I called it!

Got the new building siting correct and the infill of the courtyard and lobby levels.

Supplementary docs don't seem to be online yet.

I can't decide from the renders posts in the Front Page piece what I think of the office addition or the new building in respect of skyline views of the existing tower.

My overall sense on the infill of the court yard isn't great.

I think it's probably been done as well as one might hope; but I still feel it's probably the wrong direction overall for the site; and that leaving the negative space closer to its current form would be better.

Supplementary docs don't seem to be online yet.

I can't decide from the renders posts in the Front Page piece what I think of the office addition or the new building in respect of skyline views of the existing tower.

My overall sense on the infill of the court yard isn't great.

I think its probably been done as well as one might hope; but I still feel its probably the wrong direction overall for the site; and that leaving the negative space closer to its current form would be better.
From the story:
"Before the materials are officially submitted to the City and available to the public, KingSett Capital has given UrbanToronto an early glimpse of the mixed-use, KPMB Architects-designed proposal at 700 University Avenue, which reimagines every facet of the site."

They've done a pretty nice job with this!

43002-126447.jpg

I mean, if you're going to add to the top of the exiting tower, it had better be elegant, and I think they've even managed to make the building look like without this, it's missing its crown:
43002-126450.jpg

Meanwhile, at ground level, this is better than what's there now in every regard. I think this will improve the public realm at this intersection significantly.
43002-126446.jpg

I will miss some of the old concrete, but overall, I'm rather relieved!

Back