But we can all agree the TTC building is the bizarre outlier.

I have yet to hear a compelling reason for its existence; never mind why it can't have residential over the top.
The story we got over-and-over on "Why the TTC building MUST be stand-alone" --- was "Operational Security & Compliance" --- same reason why the new POLICE STATION is stand-alone at the DANFORTH GARAGE site for HOUSING NOW.

LINK - https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d55/new-d55-station.php

In all this, I'm less phased than you might be by the heights in the mid-20s or the park allocation.

I find the lowrise to be an oddly severe transition and it seems there might be some upward room there that should have been taken.

But we can all agree the TTC building is the bizarre outlier.

I have yet to hear a compelling reason for its existence; never mind why it can't have residential over the top.
Rick Leary mentioned it once and never again; TTC is exploring leaving Danforth all together and this building at Warden may become the new home for Collectors & Subway Opeartors. However, I suspect it would actually house offices for the Station Supervisor program as Warden Station will soon be torn down and they currently have offices there.

Side topic - TTC should capitalize on the Warden redevelopment and build an office tower to consolidate all their office space they have scattered everywhere, with some offices in high demand high rental areas…

I live in the area and no I will not move. Try to force me out of my house and watch what happens.

That being said, I do not want affordable housing in the area. We have plenty of TCHC buildings, low rent apartments, etc in the area and they are havens for drugs, prostitution etc.

At Birchmount and St Clair there is a TCHC building with frequent pick-ups, drop-offs and deliveries (as seen by myself and others) in BMWs, Mercedes, etc. I doubt that people living to the letter of the law live there and drive BMWs.
Id like to see TCHC sold off and replaced with cash subsidies to be used in the private market. The structure would be less means tested and function like a negative income tax, as opposed to the current system that lavishes most of the spoils on the lowest common denominator. I support making it easier to remove squatters/volatile/problem tenants but I also want to see stricter enforcement of rent control to reward well-behaved tenants.

The story we got over-and-over on "Why the TTC building MUST be stand-alone" --- was "Operational Security & Compliance" --- same reason why the new POLICE STATION is stand-alone at the DANFORTH GARAGE site for HOUSING NOW.

LINK - https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d55/new-d55-station.php

Acknowledging @JoshR 's contribution above........

I remain entirely unsatisfied with the TTC's take here.

While I find it highly improbable this building needs to exist; let alone in this form.........

I'm happy to listen to the compelling reason it should/must.

But the onus is on the TTC to clearly establish that; which I don't feel it has, in the least.

Side topic - TTC should capitalize on the Warden redevelopment and build an office tower to consolidate all their office space they have scattered everywhere, with some offices in high demand high rental areas…

The TTC will be consolidating; it won't be here. (unless they really surprise me, LOL)

They will be shuttering McBrien (Davisville); its a few years away yet, stay tuned.

Reactions: JBR
But the onus is on the TTC to clearly establish that; which I don't feel it has, in the least.
Nobody within CreateTO, City Planning or Toronto Council was willing to "question the fundamental assumptions that TTC is using about their requirements for the WARDEN north site" in 2019... Our volunteers raised it a number of times via various channels.

Nobody within CreateTO, City Planning or Toronto Council was willing to "question the fundamental assumptions that TTC is using about their requirements for the WARDEN north site" in 2019... Our volunteers raised it a number of times via various channels.
I’m honestly upset at the plan the City went with for Warden North. So much waste of development opportunity

I’m honestly upset at the plan the City went with for Warden North. So much waste of development opportunity
Planning Staff (and the Councillor) were very defensive of their old WARDEN WOODS plans... and our volunteers' only leverage was making the problems with that approach public.

Once the 450 total-units target number from Staff was made public in DEC. 2018, then they had already "LOST" the pre-political opportunity to "work-smart" on the site.

Based on the floorplates, it appears that there is actually 269 affordable units proposed here rather than 250, unless I miscounted.

Based on the floorplates, it appears that there is actually 269 affordable units proposed here rather than 250, unless I miscounted.
...last PUBLIC number from CreateTO was still 250 in Feb. 22 --- but there number(s) will be updated in mid-May if there have been any changes to the agreements with the Development Partner's & CMHC.

How are you identifying the Affordable Units based on the Floorplates..? Are they colour-coded or something..?

1649800105746.png

A portion of the North Parking Lot has now been fenced off 🤷‍♂️

It is the easternmost third of the parking lot that has been fenced off.

If they were to be building anything there immediately the whole lot would be closed off.

View attachment 392503
That looks to be the eastern portion of the site where the new low-rise TTC office building is supposed to be built according to the 2020 site plan. (Grey box in the CreateTO image).

1649851382540.png

...last PUBLIC number from CreateTO was still 250 in Feb. 22 --- but there number(s) will be updated in mid-May if there have been any changes to the agreements with the Development Partner's & CMHC.

How are you identifying the Affordable Units based on the Floorplates..? Are they colour-coded or something..?

View attachment 392352

As @WislaHD notes above, there is indeed colour coding, I just thought I'd bring one plan over to illustrate:

1649856288895.png

1649856307672.png

Back