WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Site was sold to Bazis. Based on the precedent being set by 717-733 Mt Pleasant across the street, I think you could probably expect over 30 storeys here.

1622845663771.png

This plaza was never a good expression of urban form, but it has been a staple of the neighbourhood for many years. Will be quite the change to see it go.

If it's only the shopping plaza then I'm curious if they may have also tried to make an offer for the Dollarama property. A combined floorplate could get them 2 towers. I can see Bazis aiming for mid-30 storeys here at least from a starting proposal point, with the precedent set by the project across the street and also being on the west side of Mount Pleasant and closer to the main density cluster.

Very anti-urban in its current state.

Tentatively (subject to seeing a proposed development), I will be happy to see this go.

No substantial details yet but here's the announcement Bazis made on their Facebook page:

bazis.JPG

Interesting. An acquaintance attempted to develop a 23-storey tower next to this site and got tremendous pushback from the city. Curious how this will go down at planning.

The mall is due south of Eglinton Jr Public School. Anything tall will cast significant shadow over the playground during lunch and recess. TDSB will oppose.

Interesting.

From 2018:

1623285665721.png
'

By all accounts the school not only has a very under-sized yard, but a very under-sized building.

The challenge for the TDSB, due to provincial fiat:

a) They are not allowed to levy development charges

b) They have to use the province's extremely low-ball population growth estimates when calculating future demand.

A logical answer here, I think, is to invite CreateTO in..........and consider a partnership that might shift the school to the south...........

And alllow a higher building on the schools' current site (the challenge being interim accommodation)

This, on Brownlow, needs to go, and the school shifts to the south.

1623286013646.png

Site the school yard, and a green roof properly to maximize desirable views from the new condo..............win-win.

Developer pays for the new building...........gets an extra 15 storeys, and Eglinton frontage.

Just a thought..........

This will shape up to be a barn burner.
The mall is due south of Eglinton Jr Public School. Anything tall will cast significant shadow over the playground during lunch and recess. TDSB will oppose.

My guess is the applicant will rely heavily on 5.6.5 of the Secondary Plan in this regard:

5.6.5. Development will be located and designed to provide adequate sunlight on parks and open spaces have regarding to the varied nature of these areas. The height ranges and other policy directions established in this Plan result in acceptable shadow impacts. Additional attention to the massing and stepbacks of buildings may be required to ensure an adequate amount of sunlight on parks and open spaces.

This will shape up to be a barn burner.

My guess is the applicant will rely heavily on 5.6.5 of the Secondary Plan in this regard:

5.6.5. Development will be located and designed to provide adequate sunlight on parks and open spaces have regarding to the varied nature of these areas. The height ranges and other policy directions established in this Plan result in acceptable shadow impacts. Additional attention to the massing and stepbacks of buildings may be required to ensure an adequate amount of sunlight on parks and open spaces.

There is such a logical opportunity here, though I'm not sure Bazis or the TDSB have thought of it.........shift the school (which is over capacity) to where the Dollarama sits, place the school yard on Bazis site, give Bazis the school site.

TDSB would pick up a small net gain in land, which it needs, a way of organizing the site that should preserve more sun for the school yard than otherwise possible, and given relative valuations and probable height permissions should be able to pick up some $$$ towards construction of the new building.

Win-win.

I'll add, any shortfall in $$$ maybe could made up by Oxford, if they get relief from having to include a school at the Canada Square site.

There is such a logical opportunity here, though I'm not sure Bazis or the TDSB have thought of it.........shift the school (which is over capacity) to where the Dollarama sits, place the school yard on Bazis site, give Bazis the school site.

TDSB would pick up a small net gain in land, which it needs, a way of organizing the site that should preserve more sun for the school yard than otherwise possible, and given relative valuations and probable height permissions should be able to pick up some $$$ towards construction of the new building.

Win-win.

Oh absolutely, and IMO thats the right way to go about this on a more comprehensive block planning exercise. Some block busting needs to happen within the YE area here for sites like this that present opportunities for comprehensive city building.

If I was a betting man though I would guess that those talks have already taken place, and didn't go anywhere. In part, I would assume this application is in part to force the TDSB to the table, interim accommodations are likely the issue here because like you said, on the surface it's a win win. When this ultimately ends up at the OLT, my guess is we will see a mediated or settled outcome similar to what you're describing.

Oh absolutely, and IMO thats the right way to go about this on a more comprehensive block planning exercise. Some block busting needs to happen within the YE area here for sites like this that present opportunities for comprehensive city building.

If I was a betting man though I would guess that those talks have already taken place, and didn't go anywhere. In part, I would assume this application is in part to force the TDSB to the table, interim accommodations are likely the issue here because like you said, on the surface it's a win win. When this ultimately ends up at the OLT, my guess is we will see a mediated or settled outcome similar to what you're describing.

For clarity, this is what I'm thinking, and it would require expropriation of the single-family homes adjacent.

1625601691771.png

Crude Math: This boosts the TDSB from 70,000ft2 to 77,000ft2 ( for argument's sake, 1/2 for the yard to grow, and 1/2 for the building)

The current building is 3 floors fronting Eglinton, about the upper limit for a school; but most of the Mt. Pleasant frontage is 2 storeys, and a small portion 1.

Assuming 100% buried parking that leaves room a 30,000ft2 expansion of the building with a uniform 3-storey footprint.

This gives Bazis double the site area, on a preferred site.

The current school has pieces of the original school preserved within the library and main hall. Are those heritage designated?

The current school has pieces of the original school preserved within the library and main hall. Are those heritage designated?

There is nothing at this location in the Heritage Register.

So unless there is some unorthodox arrangement, I would have to say 'no'.

Back