Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New App in the AIC for both Zoning and SPA to redevelop this existing rental on Roehampton:

1651137047249.png

Streetview:

1651137138285.png

* you'll note under construction 'The Hampton' on the immediate left in this image, for which we have a thread, off to the right E2 is visible 2 properties over.

Aerial Pic:

1651137266410.png

I guess they really want to shade up the sports field across the street with these skyscrapers. There's no Ketchum park like mimbisum thing happening in this area lol?

Geez.... a friend of mine lives in that very building. I guess he's gotta bounce. Best get in touch with him.

Geez.... a friend of mine lives in that very building. I guess he's gotta bounce. Best get in touch with him.

Make note when talking to your friend that:

a) He'll have a while, planning in this City moves slowly, LOL

b) The developer/landlord will likely have a tenant relocation assistance program.

c) He (your friend) will be entitled to return to the new building and rent a comparable unit, at a comparable price when construction is complete.

I just had an exchange with him; he didn't know. He's a bit bummed. Been there for years and is quite attached to the area, although perhaps a bit daunted by the surging verticality of recent years. I explained that these things take time and he ought to follow this thread for updates.

I guess the residents at 63 Roehampton should probably prepare it is a 4 storey low rise next door to 77 Roehampton, my balcony faces it.

It may be safe for a bit longer, on a free-standing basis, I consider the site pretty borderline for redevelopment because it's fairly small.

It's not simply the size of the footprint, it's that normally a provision must be made for separation distances between any building on this site, and any that goes up on a neighbouring site. Given how narrow this parcel is, those rules could serious limit this property in its current form.

The parking to its east is tied to an Eglinton Avenue facing site; if combined, development would be much more practical.

We'll see if someone has the ambition for that. Like your apartment complex, it may also face headwinds around shadowing the sports field as well.

As a resident in the building who moved in to a new renovated unit, this project is not for the "betterment of anything" other that the greedy owners who want more money. Lets face it they cannot even
cut the lawn or maintain the gardens. Well every tenant than can know has been told to dig in their heels and wait for the rehousing assistance program.

I can understand your take.

I'm not unsympathetic.

Though I'll add, if you were sitting on a property, even a single family house say, and someone came along and told you that you could sell to a developer for 5x what your house is worth as a house.........

For argument's sake, you have an $1,000,000 house, but probably an $800,000 mortgage, and someone comes along and offers you enough to buy a better house, mortgage-free, pay off your original mortgage,
and have enough leftover to retire on leftover........I think you might be tempted to take that.

That doesn't make a landlord/developer a saint for looking out for their own self-interest, but neither does it make them evil. As to why there is so much money to be made in the Toronto real estate market that's
an entirely different issue having to do w/public policy from capital gains taxes to immigration policy to zoning rules. Those you need to take up w/the appropriate level of government.

I do wish you the best in finding comparable housing at a comparable price; and perhaps moving back into the new building in a few years time.

It may be safe for a bit longer, on a free-standing basis, I consider the site pretty borderline for redevelopment because it's fairly small.

It's not simply the size of the footprint, it's that normally a provision must be made for separation distances between any building on this site, and any that goes up on a neighbouring site. Given how narrow this parcel is, those rules could serious limit this property in its current form.

The parking to its east is tied to an Eglinton Avenue facing site; if combined, development would be much more practical.

We'll see if someone has the ambition for that. Like your apartment complex, it may also face headwinds around shadowing the sports field as well.

I can understand your take.

I'm not unsympathetic.

Though I'll add, if you were sitting on a property, even a single family house say, and someone came along and told you that you could sell to a developer for 5x what your house is worth as a house.........

For argument's sake, you have an $1,000,000 house, but probably an $800,000 mortgage, and someone comes along and offers you enough to buy a better house, mortgage-free, pay off your original mortgage,
and have enough leftover to retire on leftover........I think you might be tempted to take that.

That doesn't make a landlord/developer a saint for looking out for their own self-interest, but neither does it make them evil. As to why there is so much money to be made in the Toronto real estate market that's
an entirely different issue having to do w/public policy from capital gains taxes to immigration policy to zoning rules. Those you need to take up w/the appropriate level of government.

I do wish you the best in finding comparable housing at a comparable price; and perhaps moving back into the new building in a few years time.
That is your view, you are entitled to it.

Back