Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a community consultation meeting about this property tomorrow night.

Looks like it's situated between the Hyatt on King Street and the Theatre District Condos on Adelaide St on the north.

ZWlKsvE.png

There's a row of Victorian houses here currently - I hope they aren't going.

Ah damn, I thought we'd avoided these being redeveloped with the Theatre District condos on the neighbouring lot...

I'd be interested to see what gets proposed here. A rough mock up in CAD using the Tall Building Guidelines results in a +/-560sm typical floorplate.

It's possible, sure, but our market isn't at the point yet where you can make money off of something that tiny. Developers generally like to target the sweet spot of 750sm to get the ten units per floor it takes to make a project worthwhile financially. There are only a few towers that are near this (eg. 2-8 Gloucester) and even those are closer to 600 than 550. King Charlotte however is 520sm so perhaps Brad is the one making moves here.

If someone goes to this meeting, it would be great to get a report back. Other UT types are spread out at other meetings at the same time!

Do you think these old heritage homes could be moved to a new locaction or be incorporated into the new condo developement?

A picture from Joe Cressy's Twitter account - can't really make anything out though

CZsFfUVWIAMUHSE.jpg:large

It appears ,very vaguely , that the old houses are being integrated into this. Am I seeing the image correctly? I hope so!

It appears ,very vaguely , that the old houses are being integrated into this. Am I seeing the image correctly? I hope so!

I do see them too but I'm not going to get my hopes up until a better image is released. The way development works in the city I'm probably just seeing what I want to see lol...

Some notes from tonight's meeting: Proposed plan retains the Victorian town houses, not just the facades. The foundations and walls are in poor shape - the existing buildings would be deconstructed and reconstructed. The basement levels of the new building would be lot line to lot line, so the reconstructed town houses would sit on top of the new building's basement.

The new tower, 56 stories high, would be built behind, and partially above the town homes. The tower would have a seven storey podium - really a reverse podium, involving a setback for the first seven floors, and then being levered out so the floors above would be extend over the rear of the town homes. Basically, with the reduced floor print of the first floors, and for retaining the townhomes, the developer is asking for an additional amount of height at the top of the building. Current proposal is for the townhomes to be residential. The developer would be open to commercial uses however the number of steps up from the street in order to reach the main floors, given the accessibility requirements, a workable solution has not yet been found.

Deborah Scott is the architect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back