Status
Not open for further replies.
Some notes from tonight's meeting: Proposed plan retains the Victorian town houses, not just the facades. The foundations and walls are in poor shape - the existing buildings would be deconstructed and reconstructed. The basement levels of the new building would be lot line to lot line, so the reconstructed town houses would sit on top of the new building's basement.

The new tower, 56 stories high, would be built behind, and partially above the town homes. The tower would have a seven storey podium - really a reverse podium, involving a setback for the first seven floors, and then being levered out so the floors above would be extend over the rear of the town homes. Basically, with the reduced floor print of the first floors, and for retaining the townhomes, the developer is asking for an additional amount of height at the top of the building. Current proposal is for the townhomes to be residential. The developer would be open to commercial uses however the number of steps up from the street in order to reach the main floors, given the accessibility requirements, a workable solution has not yet been found.

Deborah Scott is the architect.

YES! Here's hoping the inevitable negotiations over height, tower spacing (did they mention any issues with the neighbouring plots?) and the lack of commercial spaces (which does sound like an unavoidable issue) will make the townhouses being kept and restored a baseline for any changes. With the proposal for 40 Widmer, these will be the last Victorians on the street. Surely, with the relatively large plot of land, we can find some compromises to allow them to be preserved? I'm definitely happy with the way things are going right now!

YES! Here's hoping the inevitable negotiations over height, tower spacing (did they mention any issues with the neighbouring plots?) and the lack of commercial spaces (which does sound like an unavoidable issue) will make the townhouses being kept and restored a baseline for any changes. With the proposal for 40 Widmer, these will be the last Victorians on the street. Surely, with the relatively large plot of land, we can find some compromises to allow them to be preserved? I'm definitely happy with the way things are going right now!

One of the aspects about this proposal is that the site is large enough to support a tall building while maintaining all the tall building guideline separation requirements - spacing with regard to the neighbouring buildings is not an issue. While there were some comments regarding desirability of commercial use for the town houses, others were quite accepting of residential use given the circumstances.

Just a quick unload, sorry for quality

20160126_201923.jpg 20160126_201824.jpg 20160126_201455.jpg 20160126_202112.jpg 20160126_202126.jpg

Attachments

• 20160126_201923.jpg
    20160126_201923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 505
  • 20160126_201824.jpg
    20160126_201824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 496
  • 20160126_201455.jpg
    20160126_201455.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 502
  • 20160126_202112.jpg
    20160126_202112.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 576
  • 20160126_202126.jpg
    20160126_202126.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 571
Some notes from tonight's meeting: Proposed plan retains the Victorian town houses, not just the facades. The foundations and walls are in poor shape - the existing buildings would be deconstructed and reconstructed. The basement levels of the new building would be lot line to lot line, so the reconstructed town houses would sit on top of the new building's basement.

The new tower, 56 stories high, would be built behind, and partially above the town homes. The tower would have a seven storey podium - really a reverse podium, involving a setback for the first seven floors, and then being levered out so the floors above would be extend over the rear of the town homes. Basically, with the reduced floor print of the first floors, and for retaining the townhomes, the developer is asking for an additional amount of height at the top of the building. Current proposal is for the townhomes to be residential. The developer would be open to commercial uses however the number of steps up from the street in order to reach the main floors, given the accessibility requirements, a workable solution has not yet been found.

Deborah Scott is the architect.
Glad I was wrong about thinking they would be saved.

I love the podium, but the tower is kind of ugly. I am sure it will be refined more though.

I like it, it's interesting. I like how it perches over the houses. Also I'm ok with the tower the diamond argyle pattern is at the very least cohesive.

Pictures from last night:
DSCF1528.JPG
DSCF1529.JPG
DSCF1530.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1528.JPG
    DSCF1528.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,415
  • DSCF1529.JPG
    DSCF1529.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,384
  • DSCF1530.JPG
    DSCF1530.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,359
  • DSCF1531.JPG
    DSCF1531.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 273
I love that argyle balcony pattern!

The city may negotiate to keep the heritage houses in situ during construction. That's been their goal for a while now, but I understand the foundational issues here. This is very promising though.

The podium overhang and the flat soffit treatment looks uninspired though. Perhaps that's another place they can apply the argyle pattern (better yet, a 3D argyle pattern that would give it texture) - and have the recessed lights at the corners instead of the middle (or have recessed strips along the edges of the soffit)

AoD

I think the argyle pattern on the tower is a bit contrived and superficial. The chevron elements on the podium and ground floor looks kind of goofy and trying too hard. While I think hovering the tower over the houses is interesting and could be cool, it's something that wouldn't fly with the City.

The podium looks too futuristic and doesn't blend in well with the town homes. Why don't they create a podium that compliments the homes by adding more brick, slate or stone work in some areas between windows. And use pillars with arches to support the top structure. Vegetation in some areas would also harmonies the podium to the old buildings making it more green. Just a thought! But why have the old town homes look at an orange wall with no windows across the street that's not appealing. Whats the point of keeping those buildings there if the location doesn't suit them anymore. If they can be moved move them to another locating of the lot etc. Just like the Karma development did. And work around that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back