Would the city have the authority to require a vertical transportation report as part of the rezoning or SPA process? If developers are already getting the reports done, seems like a no-brainer to make them public so planners can assess the proposed elevator design against the expert recommendation.

The City can ask for a traffic report as part of a 'complete submission', but as there's no legislation compelling a developer to add the requisite number of elevators, there's not much the City can do to 'force' them to supply...

Ultimately, pretty much everything in this city sells, no matter what's on offer (there are some exceptions for various reasons of course, and there's a current slowdown, but apart from abnormal circumstances, the vast majority of buildings sell no matter what the features are… but the mere fact of having to report on elevators, however, would go some way towards bringing about a standard. While developers are not forced to respond to DRP suggestions, for example, the Panel is normally able to affect some change. If an elevator report were out there in the public eye, developers would be less likely to want to be found out at the end of its bell curve.

I know we've wandered off topic, but TIL:
There is no jurisdiction in the North America that currently enforces elevator availability, largely because the factors and parties affecting elevator issues are complex and varied. However, in March 2017, MPP Han Dong tabled a private member's bill in the Ontario legislature, seeking to address what some have deemed a crisis in Ontario. The proposed Bill 109, the "Reliable Elevators Act, 2017" was comprised of two main sections: one would amend the Consumer Protection Act and set time limits for getting broken elevators back in service — 14 days for most buildings, seven for retirement homes and long-term-care facilities – and the other called for changes to the Ontario Building Code which would mandate elevator-traffic studies for new high-rise buildings.
via https://ccitoronto.org/condovoice/101

Toronto Model 12-27-22 8 Elm.png

I have to think with this building and Concord sky being built across the street that part of Yonge will be pretty much closed off for cars soon, and then you add the new Queen station for the Ontario line you won't be able to drive along Yonge for a good 5 years.

I have to think with this building and Concord sky being built across the street that part of Yonge will be pretty much closed off for cars soon, and then you add the new Queen station for the Ontario line you won't be able to drive along Yonge for a good 5 years.

And then you find out about YongeTOmorrow (Edward through Gerrard), construction was expected to start 2023 but might be delayed a bit. Anyway, it'll be a lot longer than 5 years, by design, until people are regularly driving the length of Yonge through downtown again.

Last edited:
Any updates?

Hi, I know your new and we all appreciate good discussion regarding projects, but please stop bumping threads to ask if there are "any updates?" I'm sure one of the MOD's are going to politely ask you to do the same. The forum is filled with very passionate members that love to share info. If there are any updates, you can be sure it will be posted. It just bumps the thread for no reason and adds unnecessary posts. I'm pretty sure I did the exact same thing when I first joined..lol. You'll start to see that the members are on top of almost every project.

Enjoy the forum and welcome :)

Last edited:
the whole stretch is about to be pedestrianized in a few years - you won't be able to drive along yonge from now on basically.

Back