Granted I'm a fan of rectilinear, but I kinda like it. Even with this initial iteration it has a lot more going on and is more dynamic than Wellesley-on-the-Park, in my eyes at least. A series of stacked rectangles gradually tapering towards the top reminiscent of Willis tower but with cladding changes vs a greyish monolith that has some curvature.

I see that the old "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attitude is still in full effect. If a new project is unadventurous or "value-engineered", it's condemned for its "Toronto blandness". If it's different, it's condemned for being freakish and out of place.

This is the main reason why I'm visiting UT less these days, I'm tired of the unrelenting negativity that is so common here.

The notion of another G+C project tempered the reaction IMO.

This project is not tremendously different from something like 50 Bloor Street West.

I see that the old "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attitude is still in full effect. If a new project is unadventurous or "value-engineered", it's condemned for its "Toronto blandness". If it's different, it's condemned for being freakish and out of place.

This is the main reason why I'm visiting UT less these days, I'm tired of the unrelenting negativity that is so common here.

Since when do unique projects get called out on here? Rarely.

This is just really bad. It really doesn't matter who designed it now. It doesn't matter how different it looks to other developments either.

The developer and architect both matter, though, in terms of how closely we can expect the finished product to track to the renderings. Not that it's difficult to find examples, but an egregious recent example of that is YC.

Not in this case. The design is so poorly conceived; a total density grab on an irregular site that is an absolute insult to compare to the finely tuned form of Willis. The best quality materials and execution won't save it.

I like it. As long as the materials aren’t cheap and grey.
Is it confirmed to be centre court? If it is I don’t see any reason to be upset, they seem to be doing decent work.

It's not CentreCourt, it's Fitzrovia Capital. Their first development over on Dufferin is designed by G+C, and it appears this one is too.

Well I must admit I am a lot more concerned now. Because clearly G+C are rather questionable. Although I realize the real issue is canderel. This is still concerning. I do honestly like the massing though.

Back