10 Wellesley.png

Its actually rather striking. The materials will be key as especially the glass.

Attachments

• 10 Wellesley.png
    10 Wellesley.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 856
That's 64 too many G+C storeys.

Don't let it be G+C.

The land assembly looks like the gun I’d want to shoot myself with once I see the G+C design.

Has the developer and architect been confirmed or are we going off of urban dreamers suggestion that it might be G+C?

It doesn't look like a G+C project, IMO.

More sophisticated detailing at first glance- with any G+C renders you can already instantly tell the amount of cheap window wall in the facade.

The notion of another G+C project tempered the reaction IMO.

This project is not tremendously different from something like 50 Bloor Street West.

It's not CentreCourt, it's Fitzrovia Capital. Their first development over on Dufferin is designed by G+C, and it appears this one is too.

It's actually bKL.
Edit: Should also add that Rafael + Bigauskas is the Architect of Record.
upload_2017-11-30_16-33-0.png

upload_2017-11-30_16-33-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-30_16-33-0.png
    upload_2017-11-30_16-33-0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,640
  • upload_2017-11-30_16-33-38.png
    upload_2017-11-30_16-33-38.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,599
Last edited:
Well on the bright side, if there is even a bright side in this case, at least it's one less G+C project. But unless they decide to use some Monde style glass here, this one will be instantly lost and forgettable in the surrounding blue and green glass around area it.

As for that Yonge Street part development, that seems pretty odd. Have we seen anything like this in the city before?

It's not far off from 8 Elm, It's essentially a 0m setback straight up extrusion of the site.

Also, Height is likely around 205m. The height on the plans does not include the Mechanical Penthouse, and measures 199.7m, with the Mech Penthouse appearing to be about 6m tall.

This definitely looks like it has a crazy FSI as proposed.

From a design rather than planning point of view, I actually don't mind the massing which has some visual interest, just the apparent randomness of which surfaces have balconies and which ones don't. Would look much better without the balconies or with inset balconies only.

Looks slightly under 6m for the mechanical penthouse. I have put 674 feet which is equal to 205.4 metres. That's all likely to change as we have noted. I have created a database file for the development and it is now attached atop the page with some closeups of the renderings.

A close-up of the glazing looks like it might be curtainwall… (but again, subject to change).

It's not far off from 8 Elm, It's essentially a 0m setback straight up extrusion of the site.

Also, Height is likely around 205m. The height on the plans does not include the Mechanical Penthouse, and measures 199.7m, with the Mech Penthouse appearing to be about 6m tall.
Yes I was looking at the plans, there is no measurement from the south facing balconies to the Wellesley St. property line.

I like it because it actually has some massing.
It's not a straight tower with fancy balconies added on to create visual interest.

The vertical forms remind me of the 1960s modernist esthetic of the central core of Ole Sheerenen's design for 1500 West Georgia in Vancouver (i.e. without the projecting parts).
http://buro-os.com/1500-west-georgia/

Change much?, 194 meters next door?
Taller than Wellesley on the Park, while closer to Yonge… but the big diff here is the FSI, somewhat artificially lowered by including the single heritage lot where this assembly reaches out to Yonge, which won't be redeveloped.

Design-wise this looks decent, but not necessarily that notable or distinguishable as an overall product. Considering bKL's involvement here I would have preferred to see them go with brick just like they did on the Selby.

I don't mind the general massing and it slightly reminds me of the comer "Sears' (Willis?) tower in Chicago. I am more surprised that a building of this magnitude is going in this particular location.

At first I thought this would be demolishing some of the retail buildings along Yonge, which would've really been unfortunate with the current design (which looks fine, but has some key issues with it). I'm not going to be too concerned for this site, though I'm hoping this won't be something like Clover On Yonge.

Back