Statement by the City of Toronto on the Roehampton Hotel:

A group of locals are planning a protest this weekend:

Emergency shelter housing can work anywhere, provided laws and bylaws are enforced. We have laws on the books against public drunkenness, public urination and defection, drug use, littering, loitering, public nuisance, noise and begging. In short, whatever your circumstance, live your life without interfering with others enjoyment of theirs.

Without enforcement or harm reduction measures a shelter just plonked into the middle of a neighbourhood isn’t going to be welcomed. But balance this with increased police presence, support staff, municipal clean-up and most importantly removal mentally ill to (non-existant, so fix this first) CAMH support facilities and the neighbours would probably shrug and carry on. But we never get this in the city, instead it’s just the Wild West, drop a shelter somewhere and flee like a hot potato whilst TPS and bylaw officers do nothing.

Last edited:
A group of locals are planning a protest this weekend:

It is somewhat satisfying to see mid-town experience what we in downtown east have been putting up with for decades.

It is somewhat satisfying to see mid-town experience what we in downtown east have been putting up with for decades.

I don't think that's a fair characterization.
A staff member was stabbed. I don't think is either acceptable or common at any shelter in the city.
The representative from the City yesterday admitted the shelters were open before all the support systems were put in place and they took a risk.
Hopefully things will settle down with a proper plan in place.

I don't think that's a fair characterization.
A staff member was stabbed. I don't think is either acceptable or common at any shelter in the city.
Stabbings aside, much of what the locals are complaining about, open defecation, break-ins, open drug use, etc.... are regular occurrences any neighbourhood saddled with shelters.
The representative from the City yesterday admitted the shelters were open before all the support systems were put in place
Has the city ever put support systems in place before opening a shelter? Take a cycle down Sherbourne from Gerrard to Lake Shore and you can see a city that has zero support systems in place.

Does this development now include 247 & 249 Roehampton Ave and 820 Mt Pleasant Rd (the houses on the corner of Roehampton and Mt Pleasant)? Or is that going to become a different project?

I answered my own question from the nearby 808 Mt Pleasant project. It looks like this is a separate project headed by Kartelle Corporation (which has done other projects nearby including 1000 Mt Pleasant and 65 Lillian). They hired WND Associates to represent them during the OPA-405 public consultations: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/cc/comm/communicationfile-86720.pdf

Site includes three houses, 820 Mt Pleasant Rd, 247 & 249 Roehampton Ave. No application made to the city yet (pre-application). OPA-405 prescribed a range of 27-29 storeys for the site.

1607101949489.png

1607102093255.png

Actually the answer here might be a little more complicated, as per below:

It appears Kartelle Corporation had intended a site assembly with 808 Mt Pleasant, but it failed. They may have subsequently sold off the three houses to the developer of 808 Mt Pleasant. If so, perhaps these posts should be moved to 808 Mt Pleasant thread as it's likely they would resubmit 808 Mt Pleasant with a second tower.

Last edited:
Whatever happen here?

Local crime rate increases and property value drops,....
Roehampton_FOI_Crime_2020_Data.PNG

Roehampton_FOI_Crime_2020_Letter.PNG

"A Toronto real estate agent says some condo owners 'don't feel safe' in the Midtown neighbourhood and 'want to get out'",... "Sales statistics provided by Rocca show that while there were fewer condo listings from January to March of 2020, the average condo (one and two-bedroom) sold for $743,000.",.... "Fast forward to the last three months, which shows 324 listings and an average selling price of $629,000 — a drastic drop of 16%."

Back