ferusian

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
835 QUEEN ST W
Ward 10 - Tor & E.York District

Development Applications

Proposal for a 6-storey mixed-use building containing 21 residential dwelling units. The proposed non-residential gross floor area is 159.81 square metres, and the proposed residential gross floor area is 1069.41 square metres.

1593237752982.png

Last edited:
Looks like they're aiming for the 6 storey maximum that was set out by the new Queen West planning guideline between Bathurst and Roncy. Based on the application, it would be for the corner building only, although there is decent depth along Niagara.

My only comment, having barely begun to sip my first Coffee is that @ferusian either had a very late night or a very early start to the day.

There's no accounting for @AlbertC 's early rising...........though barely past 5am is early, even for him!

This may have already been planned pre-covid, but intensification here makes sense. Retail vacancies along Queen West will increase likely for the next couple years, and this unit would have had a tough time leasing out unless the building was upgraded into a more attractive space anyways.

Emma Capital and RAW Design:

1593702730926.png

1593703480260.png

The overall form is quite commendable, but I remain cautious about the grade level frontage along Queen West. It appears proportionately low on the elevation drawing, compared to what the ideal grade level height ratio should be. And there doesn't appear to be ample space for signage.

Looks better than what's there right now, plus red bricks for heritage and respecting neighbourhood architecture.

In the meantime, Chive Plant Shop has opened at the current retail unit here:

Back